Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-29-2013, 08:30 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Looking at Swivel Wheeled Sulkies

I have been looking into a sulky for my deere walk behind. I have looked at many and really like the idea of swivel wheeled models due to you are always behind the machine and no extra wheel marks usually and etc. I have been looking at this
http://www.havenerent.com/index.php?...id=9&Itemid=96

Its a little pricey but anything to save my legs a specially on this one property where I alone have to mow an acre while my worker(son) mows two acres with the ZTR. I try to use the ZTR and if I actually liked to use it you know I would be sitting, but it kills my back after only 20 minutes or so. So please present any suggestions you have for Sulkies.
I know that I will have to retro fit a mount for it as my Deere has the fluid in the frame. All except the pro slide would have to be modified so no big deal. I don't like the idea of the single wheeled ones, and I do K turns with my mower so I need to be able to back up and such.

Thanks again guys

PlowSite-SnowFakers
Old 01-29-2013, 08:39 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Is your mower duel hydro?
Old 01-29-2013, 08:44 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryinalabama View Post
Is your mower duel hydro?
Couldn't tell ya. I believe it is but it's in one hydro unit. It's the highest model Deere WB so I hope so.
Are you asking because of my K turns? It's not the mower it's me

PlowSite-SnowFakers
Old 01-29-2013, 08:46 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

your mower NEEDS to be HYDRO, unless you weigh in at or below 100lbs...Stay away from Proslides.
And one wheel units as the one wheels will, WILL find any hole, divot etc. I've used just about every single sulkie (expect for the old school "seat" ones) The ones with the swivel wheels watch as you turn, your radius will go from 0* to about (est.) 6*, these models are great for backing as they follow the mower. The fixed wheel "trailer" type is great for turns, but you NEED to know how to back a trailer if you went this route.

Thats all I have for now, It seems I just wrote a novel. IT NEEDS TO SNOW
Old 01-29-2013, 08:49 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by NIXRAY View Post
your mower NEEDS to be HYDRO, unless you weigh in at or below 100lbs...Stay away from Proslides.
And one wheel units as the one wheels will, WILL find any hole, divot etc. I've used just about every single sulkie (expect for the old school "seat" ones) The ones with the swivel wheels watch as you turn, your radius will go from 0* to about (est.) 6*, these models are great for backing as they follow the mower. The fixed wheel "trailer" type is great for turns, but you NEED to know how to back a trailer if you went this route.

Thats all I have for now, It seems I just wrote a novel. IT NEEDS TO SNOW
Your right we need some snow!!! And it is a hydro unit, it's the 7H19, the highest made by Deere sp I'm hoping it's dual hydro. It's not like an exmark with two separate hydro units, I believe it two hydros in one single casing. Not sure though

PlowSite-SnowFakers
Old 01-30-2013, 07:26 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Anybody else??

PlowSite-SnowFakers
Old 01-30-2013, 02:00 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Nobody has anything to say?

PlowSite-SnowFakers
Old 01-30-2013, 02:07 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

look up pro one....it is by far the best there is
Old 01-30-2013, 02:13 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Dual hydro just means you have independent control of each wheel, rather than a hydro transmissions that runs both with no control over each one individually. If you can turn the mower just using the controls it's a dual hydro.

I've been running a swivel (castering) sulky for 10+ years and really like it better than the trailering type ones. It is nice that the controls stay in front of you at all times and that you don't have to worrry about it jack-knifing on you when you go backwards. You can get 2 wheel trailering sulkies by the way that will stay in the same wheel tracks.

The downsides to the castering-type sulkies is that it can be difficult to keep them straight on undulating terrain and when traversing slopes...the weight of the operator influences the machine more than a trailering one does. Also you have to be careful when going from forward to backward and vice-versa if the wheels aren't kicked to the side at all...caster wheels have a hard time deciding what to do in those situations and can gouge the turf. What I do is turn just a little to get them spinning around or give a little hop to get my weight off of it for a second. It's really just straight forward and backwards that creates a problem, not that you couldn't gouge with them in soft turf in other conditions....usually not a problem though. They also swing wider than trailering type ones, and can whip you right off it if you spin around too fast. I can actually operate mine in either trailering or castering mode, but it's always in caster mode. Overall I think it's the way to go with a dual hydro mower, but some people hate them, I think mostly because they are harder to keep straight.
Old 01-30-2013, 02:23 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl G View Post
Dual hydro just means you have independent control of each wheel, rather than a hydro transmissions that runs both with no control over each one individually. If you can turn the mower just using the controls it's a dual hydro.

I've been running a swivel (castering) sulky for 10+ years and really like it better than the trailering type ones. It is nice that the controls stay in front of you at all times and that you don't have to worrry about it jack-knifing on you when you go backwards. You can get 2 wheel trailering sulkies by the way that will stay in the same wheel tracks.

The downsides to the castering-type sulkies is that it can be difficult to keep them straight on undulating terrain and when traversing slopes...the weight of the operator influences the machine more than a trailering one does. Also you have to be careful when going from forward to backward and vice-versa if the wheels aren't kicked to the side at all...caster wheels have a hard time deciding what to do in those situations and can gouge the turf. What I do is turn just a little to get them spinning around or give a little hop to get my weight off of it for a second. It's really just straight forward and backwards that creates a problem, not that you couldn't gouge with them in soft turf in other conditions....usually not a problem though. They also swing wider than trailering type ones, and can whip you right off it if you spin around too fast. I can actually operate mine in either trailering or castering mode, but it's always in caster mode. Overall I think it's the way to go with a dual hydro mower, but some people hate them, I think mostly because they are harder to keep straight.
Well then my mower is dual hydro. Thank you for clearing that up for me. How is it loading onto the trailer? Any problems going either on or off the trailer?

PlowSite-SnowFakers