Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 11-02-2014, 04:35 AM
LawnSite Member

4 stroke 4 cycle ryobi appreciation

I've owned and used many string trimmers, $300+ husqvarnas, echo, etc etc, my favorite one by far is still the 30cc 4 cycle Ryobi powerhead which I also have almost every attachment for which is nice to sometimes only have to worry about one engine's maintenance.
At 30cc, I think it might be the most powerful 4 cycle powerhead/trimmer. I don't care about what comparisons says etc, I see no drop in performance that a 4 cycle less rpm/zippiness than a 2 cycle. And 4 cycle has more torque.

vs 2 cycle, it's quitter (I wear ear protection anyway but it's less of a nuisance to others and it sounds cooler, more low pitched like a little quad or something instead of the common annoying ass trimmer sound), no mixing gas and oil = cheaper and easier to run and cleaner for the environment and less fumes for the operator, parts are easy to find and replace on the Ryobi although the latest models have no L H screws on the carbs (?), heavier but it's better exercise.

I got like 4 of these off ebay for like $40 each shipped, some brand new, others are like-new returns to Ryobi which third party sellers resell as-is untested and usually all you have to do is fill with gas and it runs like new, and some of them include the ez wind type bump heads from the previous owner who returned it. Sometimes they just need a carb clean or just some starter fluid or something simple like a shut-off wire is disconnected hence the previous owner returned it to Ryobi.

Overall a very good machine.

The newer models have no L H carb adjustment that I can see but they have a foam air filter whereas the older models have L H screws but no foam filter but you can just add a filter I would assume it would still run good even though Ryobi purposely omitted the foam filter for some reason.
Old 11-02-2014, 12:32 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Under true "commercial" use, those will not last. Maybe for a homeowner use, but the demanding use commercial equipment gets it won't last.
Echo PE-200 Edger
Echo HC-152 Hedge Trimmer
Echo PAS-230 with Articulating Hedge Trimmer
Echo CS-370 Chainsaw
Husqvarna 130-BT Backpack Blower

Check out my youtube channel for lawn care videos and small engine repair!

https://www.youtube.com/ilike2mow
Old 11-02-2014, 09:09 PM
LawnSite Member

Yea I use it commercially about every other day for about a year. Holding up.
The warranty doesn't cover commercial but you have to mail the entire thing in anyway for home use just to fix something small and thus costs more than just buying the part. I guess if you have a Husqvarna/eccho warranty center you pass by anyway it might make sense to get one of those but there aren't much things that pass for warranty service on a string trimmer I've come to find.

I did totally snap the shaft on one but that was because I applied way too much downward pressure on it for hours with the tiller attachment pushing it instead of letting the machine do the work. Got the part shipped for like $16. I use a big rear tine tiller for main areas and the attachment tiller for small edges and stuff and patch work, but for the trimmer, stick edger, hedge trimmer (the Ryobi attachment hedge trimmer can be completely disassembled to sharpen the blades unlike some which are like riveted together), the extension chainsaw, brush cutter, etc, I love it. I'm surprised there's no dethatcher or mini snow blower attachment.