Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-31-2013, 10:21 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

It's always better to get something a bit bigger then you need and not use it , then get something that's too small and can't do the job or takes a long time to do it.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-31-2013, 10:30 AM
LawnSite Member

I worked in a landscape yard for quite a few years, we had an s185 bobcat with a .5 yd bucket for pickups, a deere 244j loader with a 1.5 yd bucket and a quick attach so you could swap to forks for loading and unloading pallets of sod, then we had an old school 74 deere 544 with a 5 yd bucket for loading tandems. lots of fun when your 16 years old and given the opportunity to load trucks all day! Learned quite a lot
Old 01-31-2013, 11:30 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I started to looking in a supply yard/ nursery this year to maybe open in 3-4 years. I looking at having a 244J with a .5yd and 1.5yd bucket and forks to move tree's and pallets of material. Then im going with a 544K with a 1yd 2.5yd 3yd buckets to load larger trucks and also the feed the screener for topsoil and fill dirt. then if another machine like a skid or a tractor is there they can help load pickups and small loads helping the 244 do some bigger orders with the 544 or to load trucks and trailers with pallets trees and other materials
Old 01-31-2013, 01:05 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulchingman View Post
The tricky part is that I will get A LOT or pick up trucks rolling in for 1/2 yard and 1 yard sales. I will be partnering with a Garden Center. I fear a loader will be too big. I don't think I will need anything over a 1 yard bucket. I will be getting more pick up trucks and landscaping trucks over dumps. I was looking at the Bobcat Skid s770 or s750. But it seems like no one ever gets scooped by a skid. hmm.. I think the above skid could handle the weight and arm length should be tall enough for a dump truck.. thoughts?
The one rock yard here loads with a 3 yard loader but they have a regular bucket and a special bucket that must be only 4' wide to load small trucks/trailers. It seems to work very well and a regular loader can be found a lot easier and cheaper than the small loaders.