Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 09-04-2013, 10:15 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I don't know, if you hate your local embroidery shop you can bring them #15 or #20... The thing with these contest sites is they want you to believe you're hiring a pro. You're not. You're hiring the receptionist who likes playing with clip art on slow mornings, or the kid with a cracked copy of Photoshop who couldn't give you a print ready vector file if you told him there was a weekend with Kate Upton in it for him when he was done.

There are certain basics that a good graphic designer thinks about, like will it look good in black and white or grayscale? How will it look the size of a nickel on a business card? How will it look on the side of an enclosed trailer? I'm not seeing that level of thought. Plus my designer gave me a full package of logos in a variety of raster and vector files and different file sizes and a branding standard to go by. Is that included?

And listen to Tony re: lost time building the brand. I think it took me four years and three different designers to finally settle on a logo and company identity standard but I was still marketing the whole time.
Old 09-04-2013, 05:58 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks for the replies guys! I see what both you are saying about your suggestions. I'm working right now, but for somebody else. Name change was due to the fact of mow and grow looks similar to mow and go.
Old 09-04-2013, 07:40 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I am rebranding as well. I am going slow but my logo is remaining similar. Nonetheless, I am moving slow for insurance and to get people used to my change. That, and I do not have money to waste on a wholesale change.

As Tony said get to branding, you can tweak later. Reputation matters too but people have to know you.
Old 09-04-2013, 08:48 PM
LawnSite Member

40, 10, 25, 34, 45 - In no particular order.

EDIT: Actually... 45 is clearly the best in my opinion.
Old 09-05-2013, 12:39 AM
LawnSite Member

For logo design try Fiverr.com. It's amazing what people will do for 5 bucks.
Old 09-05-2013, 01:12 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronmg View Post
"Aaron's Mow&Grow" opinions good and bad before I take the leap into the role of ownership of an entity... Be honest... I live in the sticks..... no places for logo design around here.....logoarena.com or 99designs.com? I appreciate all the help I can get!!! Oh... by the way the grow part is meaning a fertilization/pesticide program.... Hopefully with not having lawncare or maintenance in my name I can be selective in my fert and squirt program....weed out the pita's before they become pita's .... logo will be here in a couple weeks....

Try plan it graphics and ask for Bill
Old 09-05-2013, 10:20 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

yeah unless there's a morning secretary better at photoshop. 45 has it and if i'm homeless and broke in a couple of years i'm blaming all y'all!!! lol
Old 09-08-2013, 04:40 PM
LawnSite Member

name

I am hoping to open this summer and I am using my last name and then my business type, "Clarke Lawn Care". I think if you are going to use your name your best bet would be to use your last name, least in my opinion. It shows it is more family oriented and professional. Plus if you leave your business to your children its better than "Mark" taking over dads "Aarrons Landscaping" business. Just a thought.
Old 09-08-2013, 04:57 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks for the replies.. I selected 45 as it was the popular choice. Now to start the branding process. My opinion on the first or last name is that I guess I will just have to sell it to another Aaron. Easier than selling or leaving it to a family member.
Old 09-09-2013, 09:12 AM
LawnSite Member

Go after the jewish market -- Arons Mohel and Grow. lol

Just kidding.

- something easy to remember - and plaster it on a truck that is really hard to forget - then drive all over the place

How many white trucks with little black lettering, pulling black trailers with red mowers are in your area?
How many times do you see it and say "Who dat?"

- yard signs - door hangers - word of mouth - sponsor something that is dear to the heart (like a cancer walk - get your name on a t shirt) - join the chamber of c - mow for veterans - participate in the community and i think your business will grow
The name and logo are represented by the owner.