Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 12-26-2012, 09:25 AM
LawnSite Member

John Deere/Lesco products and stores

I've been buying from JD/L forever, since before they had pro stores. Lately I've been shopping around because I think that they think they have a monopoly on the industry. I also think their quality has fallen off.
BUT they are very convenient to me and my needs. When I do get supplies from other vendors I always feel "suspect" about their products. But I usually get better pricing from these other vendors.
JD/L is a pretty good one stop shop for ferts, seed, herbicides, sprinkler parts, and the occasional lighting needs. But I can always beat their price...
For those of you who have used them and then jumped ship, how has it gone for you?
Old 12-26-2012, 04:38 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

We use them for some stuff, but I've found better deals elsewhere. They are on the high side. Quality seems to be ok just not so much on the pricing.
Old 01-03-2013, 10:42 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

JDL/Lesco are the 7-eleven of suppliers, they probably have what you need, but will pay accordingly for it.
Old 01-07-2013, 05:37 PM
LawnSite Member

So who are some of the other wholesalers? JDL/Lesco are the only people I see around here.
Old 01-08-2013, 05:43 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I use Lesco for stuff I can't get anywhere else... Jay-Mar has the best seed blend for our area, as far as what I've seen...
When it comes to Glyphosate with Sticker already mixed in the box stores are as good as anybody else... We even found a grass killer, that doesn't affect broadleaf or shrubs in a box store that worked pretty good... it was discovered by a client...
Old 01-08-2013, 07:48 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew & Ben's Lawn Care View Post
So who are some of the other wholesalers? JDL/Lesco are the only people I see around here.
What about Agriam there a sponsor on here

Penntington seed they carry chemicals but there fert seems limited

Shaws they have fert you just have to do the home work to find some one near you that sell it

There's nothing around here every thing in trucked in some CO travel 3 / 4 hours to deliver around here

Even Southern States has fert and Chemicals
Old 01-08-2013, 08:36 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I have a JD/Lesco near me and it is very convenient, but it has always driven me nuts that their pricing is like a moving target...almost arbitrary from day to day, store to store and from webiste to store. I got to the point that I would order from their website and then pickup from my local store because at least the pricing was consistent that way. But now they changed their website and last I checked I couldn't do that anymore.

Those of you in MA, CT and RI might want to check out Valley Green. They have a different business model than JD/Lesco and rely on a sales force and delivery fleet with fork lift service rather than a dense network of local stores. Their website is kind of lame...it looks like you can click and find out more about certain products but nothing happens when you do, but I'm told it's a project they're working on this winter.

http://www.valleygreenusa.com/
Old 01-11-2013, 02:26 PM
LawnSite Member

Shemin supply and Central turf and irrigation are pretty good on pricing as well and they are national. Always work with me on price as well.
Old 01-22-2013, 05:11 PM
LawnSite Member

Hi, i have the same problem with JD/Lecso in my area, around the tri-sate area of ohio,indiana,and michigan! Is there any other hole sale fertilizer companys in the area? I looking to cut some cost but keep quality!! Any suggestions out there Please Help me !!
Old 01-22-2013, 08:15 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by R Q View Post
I've been buying from JD/L forever, since before they had pro stores. Lately I've been shopping around because I think that they think they have a monopoly on the industry. I also think their quality has fallen off.
BUT they are very convenient to me and my needs. When I do get supplies from other vendors I always feel "suspect" about their products. But I usually get better pricing from these other vendors.
JD/L is a pretty good one stop shop for ferts, seed, herbicides, sprinkler parts, and the occasional lighting needs. But I can always beat their price...
For those of you who have used them and then jumped ship, how has it gone for you?
We jumped off the Lesco boat 3 years or so ago. Our rep left and we went too. Their prices are higher than other most other places also. You need to call Green Resource http://www.green-resource.com/locations/ . I deal with Spencer. All the guys over there are very helpful and know what they are talking about