Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 01-30-2013, 07:14 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

your first app

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestGaPineStraw View Post
I'm in Carrollton. We started our 1st round 2nd week of January. It all depends what you put down on your last application. That's the key.
Posted via Mobile Device
hey bud i saw you say your first app was mid january. did you use simazine first app then march first stonewall? just curious. jan 15 i put down my first round and it was simazine then around march 1-10 stonewall. just curious thanks! a ton
Old 01-30-2013, 07:23 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTPTURF View Post
Im in north Florida and our crabgrass is already 3/4 inch high. Companies are applying pre-m and Prodiamine anyway because this is the time when we have always done that. Only thing that will save us will be a frost and I am not crossing my fingers. Btw, it was 83 today... Jan 30.
Posted via Mobile Device
I thought prodiamine was a pre-m. Would you mind explaining to a rookie the difference? Thanks
Old 01-30-2013, 08:52 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eich09 View Post
I thought prodiamine was a pre-m. Would you mind explaining to a rookie the difference? Thanks
You are right. When i say pre-m, i am thinking about the bright yellow foul-smelling stuff (I cant stand to work with it).

I have used Prodiamine the last few years.

I may have to use Dimension this year tho..
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-01-2013, 12:37 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wegomow View Post
With the Lesco Pre-M is there a commercial product or do you use the consumer product that is sold in the JD centers?
This is what I bought today at the JDL. I dont know if this is commercial or Consumer. I am a DIY, my yard is my hobby. I sit and stalk these pages and soak up as much knowledge as I can and try to keep up with you professionals on here. When you say split apps what exactly do you mean. I know obviously it means 2 multiple apps, but are you using different products? I have celcius WG for post emergence control, but I know that is a Late may-August product correct. Can i get any use out of that here when early spring shows here is the 10 day forecast for my area. should I apply now or wait longer?
Attached Images

Old 02-02-2013, 04:54 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

It's cold today. 31 this AM
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-03-2013, 12:37 AM
LawnSite Member

It's currently snowing in North Atlanta. Should stop freaking out. Put it down now and you will be wasting time and money. I have seen a few companies out there putting out pre-m already but that is because they have a program and need to get everyone done in a 7 week cycle. If you are a customer at the end of the the cycle you luck out. I you are getting pre-m put down now while we still have freezing at night, you are paying for a pretty lousy service. Middle February is when the round of pre-m should begin. This accounts for the fact that half your customers won't water in and assumes a rain will wash it into the root system before March 1st when it really should be there.
Old 02-03-2013, 12:40 AM
LawnSite Member

Don't go to JDL. You are paying twice the price for the same product you can get by shopping around. I go there for everything but chemicals.
Old 02-03-2013, 07:06 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GALAWN View Post
Don't go to JDL. You are paying twice the price for the same product you can get by shopping around. I go there for everything but chemicals.
I live in Columbus Ga, we don't have the largest selection of places to go. I am not a professional landscaper either, JDL is about the only place I know where to get quality products. I don't want to go back to using Scott's turf builders. I have got good results using Lesco, and $28 with tax for a 50lb if preM isn't to bad for me. The fert I buy from them in the spring and summer is around $33 which is $15 cheaper than Scott's at the box stores.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-03-2013, 07:13 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GALAWN View Post
It's currently snowing in North Atlanta. Should stop freaking out. Put it down now and you will be wasting time and money. I have seen a few companies out there putting out pre-m already but that is because they have a program and need to get everyone done in a 7 week cycle. If you are a customer at the end of the the cycle you luck out. I you are getting pre-m put down now while we still have freezing at night, you are paying for a pretty lousy service. Middle February is when the round of pre-m should begin. This accounts for the fact that half your customers won't water in and assumes a rain will wash it into the root system before March 1st when it really should be there.
Guess I wasted my time and money because I put it down yesterday. I have irrigation and watered it in. Should I think about A split app? If so when and what should I put down?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-03-2013, 07:58 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gulfjoe View Post
Guess I wasted my time and money because I put it down yesterday. I have irrigation and watered it in. Should I think about A split app? If so when and what should I put down?
Posted via Mobile Device
Don't beat yourself up so much!!! You just prolonged things. This will last until Mid-April or better which is when most of those early blown in weed seed are beginning to germinate. So your lawns will be in good shape. If you used a higher rate maybe until May. This time of year most lawn are somewhat dormant and allow stronger weed pressure.
Think about a lighter (Split Application) around the end of April and another about July 1st with something with more fertilize than the 0-0-8 depending you your turf type. Fall is another strong pressure time with greater need of your Pre-em.