Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 01-31-2013, 01:20 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Leaks!

So I always forget to take pictures.. I may just keep this thread and post continuously to here.. It depends on how many people are interested.

Have any other companys began on leak detection? I feel it's necessary at least to know how to find leaks that don't surface in an efficient manner for at least irrigation systems.

This was last week..I found this leak in 15 min- Service line leak @ 1.5 GPM -85 psi.

It was ashpalt so I got the approval to make a generalized square and some other company can patch it.

Call before you dig!! I had the Phone, cable and power in the same trench.

See all the big rocks? The split in the poly was producing inwards.. My guess was then they backfilled a large ass rock hit the poly.

The son peaked out at the end of my day.. Seattle has over 200 days of clouds a year.. You appreciate the hell out of the sun when it comes out during the winter time.
Attached Images

Old 01-31-2013, 01:37 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

That is some precision digging
Old 01-31-2013, 02:13 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchgo View Post
So I always forget to take pictures.. I may just keep this thread and post continuously to here.. It depends on how many people are interested.

Have any other companys began on leak detection? I feel it's necessary at least to know how to find leaks that don't surface in an efficient manner for at least irrigation systems.

This was last week..I found this leak in 15 min- Service line leak @ 1.5 GPM -85 psi.

It was ashpalt so I got the approval to make a generalized square and some other company can patch it.

Call before you dig!! I had the Phone, cable and power in the same trench.

See all the big rocks? The split in the poly was producing inwards.. My guess was then they backfilled a large ass rock hit the poly.

The son peaked out at the end of my day.. Seattle has over 200 days of clouds a year.. You appreciate the hell out of the sun when it comes out during the winter time.
Mitchell, i'm proud of you! A few short years ago you couldn't spell leak detector, now you are one.

Can't spell sun though.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-31-2013, 02:21 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

BTW i have a dive job within the next 4 or 5 days. Anybody say burrr?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-31-2013, 04:31 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Thanks Jim!

Brrr I don't even want to think about jumping in cold water
Old 01-31-2013, 04:46 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

This was last week.

This was a funny one

The story goes- One of our crews came out for the first time earlier this year to service the system. It hadn't been used in years. When the crew activated the system a zone became stuck on. A Toro jar top- He replaced the valve and did a few other things. He found 2 toro jar tops leaking and recommended to be replaced

Second crew comes out- Locates All valves and also replaces the 2 leaky valves. There is still a leak in the system but none visually at the valves. I'm not sure of the exact story but it seems like he opted to not continue on to find the leak

4 Months later the guy isn't paying up.. Stating the leak in the system is Huge and wants us to find it. My boss kindly offered 1-2 hours of time for me to go out there to find the leak ( Repair would be charged ).

I Arrive - Leak timed at 2.5 GPM. I Start visually inspecting the property and all the valves. Within less then 5 min I find a hidden hose bib- I didn't see any water but I could hear it. I find a cracked marlex. I repaired this and there was still a leak timed at .1 GPM . I listened accoustically and found a valve that was weeping water.

I Replaced the valve and follow all of our procedures properly. I turned the System on about 30% of the handle to slowly fill the ML and walked away for a few min to clean up. I go back to check the meter and it's still cruising.... I turn the handle on full blast and it's flying .. I walk to my valve-- All is tight.. to my hose bib-- Nothing leaking here...

Then...

I See this!! lol Water is shooting up directly from the trunk ( I know the pic doesn't show it too well )

At this point I didn't even bother trying to dig this up ( + I did my duty free already ) I showed him this and gave him a proposal for a re-route.
Attached Images

Old 01-31-2013, 04:55 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Homeowner was insisting he had a leak in the sprinkler system..

I Isolated it to his hot water system - Oh row! Time to get the plumber out.
Attached Images

Old 01-31-2013, 05:00 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

I got lucky with this one- Found after about 30 min.
Found about 30' from the house in a place you wouldn't think the service line would be in comparison to the house/ meter . Total time 2.5 hours. Dude was hoping to get it done quickly as he was short selling his house.
Attached Images

Old 01-31-2013, 05:10 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Leak! Under the driveway . This was the second leak I found the the Homeowner opted for a line replacement.
Attached Images

Old 01-31-2013, 05:11 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

I've posted this one before..

Just dont mess with galvi man..
Attached Images