Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-08-2013, 09:08 AM
LawnSite Member

Buy a new mower or hold out

Ok so currently I'm running a 1991 walker mc with a 16hp kohler and a 36" GHS deck. Most of my yards are a centipede with about 3 that are Bermuda and one is at Augustine. With the walker all of my yards are being bagged. I could open the back up but it throws dust everywhere and doesn't look professional making a big mess like that. I am getting an account in march that is 4 acres. On the 4 acres is mobile homes that are for sale. That account alone is $280/month (cutting twice a month). Now that alone would cover the mower payments. I am also thinking I will save quite a bit by not bagging. Less trips to the dump. Less time wasted going to the dump that I could be out working.

I do wonder what the cut will be like on my Bermuda yards that are being cut every two weeks? What do you guys think?
Posted via Mobile Device

Edit: I am thinking of a lazer z 48" s series by the way.
Old 02-08-2013, 11:47 AM
LawnSite Member

Why not just buy a used 48 inch side discharge deck for the walker 700 to 800 bucks
Old 02-08-2013, 11:57 AM
LawnSite Member

The 16hp is a bit underpowered for anything over the 36" deck. If it had a bigger motor I would but it struggles with anything else.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-08-2013, 01:56 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by trock View Post
Why not just buy a used 48 inch side discharge deck for the walker 700 to 800 bucks
16hp. And 48" might be a little under powered
Old 02-08-2013, 02:01 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

If you know for sure you can cover the payments I dont see why not. As long as you have the work to use it I feel a new piece of equipment is usually worth it.

PlowSite-SnowFakers
Old 02-08-2013, 06:02 PM
LawnSite Member

I know that one account pays for itself. I will also be saving time on my other accounts due to the bigger mower and saving money/time by not bagging as much grass. I hate bagging grass but down here if you don't bag most people aren't happy but a few mulch only and customers are still happy so that's the route I would like to go. I am worried about my 2 Bermuda yards. Both are corner houses and a good sized yard. Both are only done every two weeks. Would mulching it be ok or would side discharging be better then just have to maybe blow it around some? Idk I've never tried mulching or side discharging Bermuda
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-09-2013, 08:42 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

If I was in that boat. I would buy a used mower an something that you could pay for in full and not have a payment. Sounds like you do need a machine, but if your asking this question it sounds like your income may not fully support buying a new one, unless you make payments.

Also be warned. Years ago. I bagged 22 clients with push mowers, it was a big jump and shock going to a 36 side. Discharge. Some of the clients where not happy about the clippings not being picked up
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-09-2013, 08:47 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Time for different mower, being new or used. Prob keep the ole as a spare. A man with a spare has no care.

Good luck