Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-03-2013, 12:03 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Billy Goat TR1104, whats it worth?

I recently got an older model Billy Goat TR1104 from a former landscape owner, Its very lightly used and very good condition, it starts right up and seems to run fine. I wont be able to use it until the fall, but the seller told me to use it, see how I like it and then talk a price. He mentioned that he was gonna post it online for $1000, but gave it to me because I am a close friend. I am just wondering what you would value this machine? I'm trying to be fair for both of us, here are some pics.
Attached Images

Old 02-03-2013, 02:33 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

There are several requirements to vacing in this way. 1) You need to have a dump truck to blow in. Other wise up can make more work to unload and reduce your productivity greatly. 2) On large area of trees with heavy tree fall you need to consider a leaf pusher. Or the larger wheeled blower to be able to pile leaves in a spot where it can be picked up by this type of vac. 3) you need more than 1 or 2 places you can park this vac with dump truck for pick up. You will kill your productivity if you have to work many man hours to get leaves to the truck. One guy by his self will not make save much time with this type of unit from what I have seen. With 1 or 2 guys piling leaves and one guy ruining the vac, You can get a lot of leaves picked up fast.
Old 02-03-2013, 02:47 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

That doesn't answer my question at all, thanks. I am solo and I found that loading tarps into the trailer alone is hard especially when you cant go up the back ramps anymore, I do small lots so a leaf plow isnt even a consideration, its mainly yo get the leaf off the ground and into the trailer without trying to lift a tarp by myself. Plus I can fit more in the trailer, what do you think its worth?
Old 02-03-2013, 03:01 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Sorry if my points don't fit your application, but you ask of it would work. The answer is yes it will work but don't expect to see much increase in productivity. for each benefit this has its down side is all I was hoping to show.

If you can get it cheap it could be the best tool you have. Considering you operation. As a rule used commercial vac should get 1/2 of new price.

I have a theory called OHIO Only Handle It Once. Handling leaves many time to load and unload takes time and time is money. I prefer to drive over leaves and chop them up and vac at the same time. then drop them so I don't have to deal with then once more at the dump.

Sorry if I did not aid you but it was my intention to give you some in-site to why so few guys use this type of vac.
Old 02-03-2013, 03:09 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Before I started my own company I worked for another with a couple crews and in the fall we would team up and just toss the tarp over the side into the trailer and stomp it down as needed, the loader wasn't practical for the generally small size of clean-ups, and the extra man-power. But being solo, I cant load the trailer effectively by hand, the tarp is too heavy and using pails just takes too long and is labour intensive. So I geuss $1000 is fair.
Old 02-03-2013, 03:18 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

$1000 is a fair price. It looks to be newer and in good shape.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-03-2013, 04:26 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Billy Goat TR1104, whats it worth?

Looks new. It can save time Just make a huge pile then fire it up at suck it all up in one shot. I want one
Old 02-03-2013, 05:13 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Thats the plan, its all cleaned up right now so it looks nice, its the older TR series but seems to have lots of power, only time will, I always wanted one but the price of a new one is a little steep, especially when you only use it for 1-1.5 months out of the year. Hope it works out, gonna mount it on the front of the trailer and build a box, like many on this site have done.
Old 02-04-2013, 09:31 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I am solo and have found some simple way to save my back.
http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=332236

I also use a tractor vac unit that has a mounted vac behind the mower that blower in a large trailer that holds around 400 lbs of chopped leaves. This unit can be driven onto the trailer and dumped directly at the city refugee pile. It will hold 1 if not 2 average size tree of leaves. I never tough them just pull a pin and the mower collection box will dump it all.
Old 02-04-2013, 12:36 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

That looks cool, but I dunno for leaves, plus my trailer has tall sides on it in the fall, so it would have to lift much higher, thanks though.