Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-31-2013, 09:15 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtc0207 View Post
Why should you pay more for a fancy landscape companies name because you get what you pay for there is a difference in filters belts bearings I don't understand why people pay good money for a mower then service it with the cheapest crap they can find
Posted via Mobile Device
Really? Fram ,Wix, Mobil, Bower bearings, Gates and Dayco belts are cheap crap?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-31-2013, 09:20 PM
LawnSite Member

Being they are made for cars yes, if you are going to pay $8 for a good wix why not just buy the filter by the engine manufacture for $8 just because they look close doesn't mean they are same inside just saying
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-31-2013, 09:20 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

My goodness. Really guys

I am sure everybody has their own preferences. I use the exact hydro fluid for each of my mowers that the manufacturer calls for. However, I have been using Stens products for years in my Kubotas, my Great Dane, and my Scag. Hell, the oil filters on my gasoline motors are Purolators from Wal-Mart. $3.27 each. I have never lost a motor.
1978 F-350 Dump Truck
1988 Z-71 Chevy 4x4 Meyers Plow
2005 Chevy HD 2500 6.0
1989 Toyota One ton Flatbed
2013 61" Bad Boy Outlaw XP 36 Vanguard
2013 54" Bad Boy Outlaw Stander Kawasaki
2014 48" Wright Walk Behind
Old 01-31-2013, 09:29 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 123hotdog View Post
I am sure everybody has their own preferences. I use the exact hydro fluid for each of my mowers that the manufacturer calls for. However, I have been using Stens products for years in my Kubotas, my Great Dane, and my Scag. Hell, the oil filters on my gasoline motors are Purolators from Wal-Mart. $3.27 each. I have never lost a motor.
let me guess you have over 4000 hrs on the engines
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-31-2013, 09:40 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
let me guess you have over 4000 hrs on the engines
Posted via Mobile Device
I got two Kawis with over 3400 hrs and don't burn or leak a drop. With over 3 decades under my belt turning wrenches on evrything from model airplanes to semis I can tell you most parts are pretty similar in design. Marketing tricks are how they make money these days. JD wants you to believe you should only run their oil. Shell gas is better even though it comes from same distributor. Its all Jedi mind tricks. But hey, buy what makes you feel confident. I just try to pass on what I've learned in my busy and varied 45 years on this planet.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-31-2013, 09:47 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriot Services View Post
I got two Kawis with over 3400 hrs and don't burn or leak a drop. With over 3 decades under my belt turning wrenches on evrything from model airplanes to semis I can tell you most parts are pretty similar in design. Marketing tricks are how they make money these days. JD wants you to believe you should only run their oil. Shell gas is better even though it comes from same distributor. Its all Jedi mind tricks. But hey, buy what makes you feel confident. I just try to pass on what I've learned in my busy and varied 45 years on this planet.
Posted via Mobile Device
Then with someone with that much knowledge should understand the difference between cheap and good look at what a mower engine does 3600 rpms very dirty environment air cooled ran at hrs at the time to me it make sense to protect your investment if people chose to by cheap I understand I just think it is stupid
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-31-2013, 10:02 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

There is a micron difference in stens vs. oem or same spec mfg's. Find the spec, match it, then buy a wix, purolater, or fram.

IMPEACH OBAMA

Barry is killing our Constitution
Old 02-01-2013, 02:49 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Then with someone with that much knowledge should understand the difference between cheap and good look at what a mower engine does 3600 rpms very dirty environment air cooled ran at hrs at the time to me it make sense to protect your investment if people chose to by cheap I understand I just think it is stupid
Posted via Mobile Device
First we were talking about hydro filters which for all intents and purposes don't filter out much more than micro metal particles. There is no combustion residue like in an engine. You get more protection for the system by installing magnets. Secondly, expensive filters are sometimes of such a fine micron filtering they create pressure drops that cause loss of performance in hydro systems and top end oiling issues in engines. Even cheap parts have to meet certain SAE standards.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-01-2013, 08:53 PM
LawnSite Member

I bought some filters from kawasaki and ones from walmart and fram,stp all are good filters we change our oil and filters april,june,aug,oct and use only mobil 1 synthetic oil and have never had a motor fail in 19 yrs of operation
Old 02-01-2013, 09:06 PM
LawnSite Member

As far as hydro filters i will by what the manufacturer's calls for and for oil. some call for 10w 30 and some 20w50 so follow what they call for. On my bobcat 48 takes 10w30 reg oil snapper 48 2w50 reg oil thats my take. i only change filters and oil every two yrs never had a problem bobcat is over ten yrs old,snapper going on 5 yrs