Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 02-03-2013, 10:45 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

That stuff up there is most likely moss of some sort that will eat away at the shingles through the acids produced in it root system if not scraped off... are we thinking that these are larger plants with root systems growing through the shingles???
Old 02-03-2013, 11:21 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Mosses don't have roots, they have rhizoids.
Old 02-03-2013, 11:33 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

That looks almost mowable.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-03-2013, 06:25 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

It could also just be algae covering on the leaves... I wish the OP would say what it is, becuz that picture barely has visible color, let alone vision of the plants involved...
Old 02-03-2013, 06:29 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Mostly like poor insulation in the attic along with to much shade on the roof makes it constantly wet.

What is Moss?

Moss is a simple plant that lacks conventional roots, stems and leaves and grows vertically. It is thought to be one of the first green land plants to develop during the evolutionary process. Its growth is limited to moist locations, where sunlight is indirect or infrequent. Moss can grow almost anywhere in these conditions, as it is a very hardy plant.

Roof Growth

Roof shingles are the perfect place for moss and other algae to grow as this part of your home receives the most rainfall and has higher levels of humidity, making conditions perfect for moss to thrive. If there are large trees near the home that shade parts of the roof, moss can grow in abundance as there is a lack of direct sunlight. The accumulation of leaves and other organic debris can also aid in giving moss the nutrients it needs to grow.

Problems

Moss is usually more of a cosmetic issue on many kinds of roofing materials, but it can cause damage over time, especially in colder climates, by holding moisture against the roof surface. This wears the roof's surface by increasing frost damage, such as cracking, to the mineral granule coating on the shingles.

Solution

There are several ways to get rid of moss growing on your roof. Power washing can remove moss effectively, but must be done gently to avoid breaking shingles or loosening the protective coating on the shingle surface. There are also chemicals sprays you can purchase at home improvement stores that, once applied, kill moss in a few days to weeks.

Prevention

To prevent moss from growing or returning to your roof, install copper or other metal strips along the ridge of the roof. This will keep moss from growing as rainwater washes over the metal and down the roof surface, as moss cannot grow where metal is present. Trim trees with branches that overshadow the roof. Keep the roof clean of leaves or pine needles. Re-shingle your roof with chemically treated roof shingles that are resistant to moss a

Read more: Why Would I Have Green Moss Growing on My Roof? | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/about_6329006_wo...#ixzz2JsV9jKyi
Old 02-03-2013, 06:49 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

We already decided it is too high and too steep to get up there with a power washer or even a blower...
Old 02-03-2013, 08:11 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

It looks like it has height to the vegetation, so i don't think it's algae. It looks like grass or ground cover. I'll try to get a pic next time i'm by there; it's kind of hard to stop in the road. Sometimes, lots of oaks pop up and cover the ground, but i think it's too early for that.

If anyone has one of those 3d map programs , maybe they could get an image, but i'm not sure how recent the pic would be. Corner of Longwood and Claycut, zip=70806.

Last edited by pseudosun; 02-03-2013 at 08:16 PM.
Old 02-03-2013, 08:24 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Here's a bing map; can't see it from above.
Attached Images

Old 02-04-2013, 09:45 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

If these are actual weeds with actual roots, then those piles have been on the roof for quite a while... around here we don't see weedtrees coming up until the leaf mass has been there in one place for at least 2 years...
Old 02-04-2013, 03:03 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I've been seeing buildup on that roof for atleast 5 years.