Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 03-07-2013, 06:52 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Wright stander 32 engine confussion??? Kaw FS!!!!

Ok so I'm looking at getting another stander soon in 32. I see both the recoil and electric start models. I recall the 18.5 which is now 15 hp is the fs541v. And the 16 which is lowered to 14 hp is the fs481v. Well both models on the floor have the same model number. The cheaper one and more expensive one with electric start both say fs541v on the engine. And one had 18.5 on it and the other didn't have an hp rating. How do I know how much power these damn engines are rated at??? I don't want to spend extra if they are the same output.
Kawasaki needs to get their .... together with hp ratings. Their website is thoroughly confusing???
Old 03-07-2013, 07:38 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have a 32 wright and it has a 15hp kaw,fh430 and it has plenty of power.I wanted the bigger engine too at the time but the price was right and after 4 seasons I have no regrets.hope this helps
Old 03-07-2013, 08:00 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

[QUOTE=S man;4698866]Ok so I'm looking at getting another stander soon in 32. I see both the recoil and electric start models. I recall the 18.5 which is now 15 hp is the fs541v. And the 16 which is lowered to 14 hp is the fs481v. Well both models on the floor have the same model number. The cheaper one and more expensive one with electric start both say fs541v on the engine. And one had 18.5 on it and the other didn't have an hp rating. How do I know how much power these damn engines are rated at??? I don't want to spend extra if they are the same output.
Kawasaki needs to get their .... together with hp ratings. Their website is thoroughly confusing???[/QUOTE]

Their site is anything but confusing. It is more straight forward than any other brand right now. The ratings they show for Critical Power engines are the ratings that are true and accurate. They still have some models that haven't been through the new rating process, and are still labeled under the old system, which may be what is causing your confusion.

What really matters is that whichever engine you look at or choose, and whether or not it was rated the old way or the new- the engine HP is still the exact same. Power has not changed at all. Just the way they are now being rated. The old system was over-inflated on HP ratings making people think they were getting more than they really were, and was the biggest reason for the small engine class action lawsuit a few years ago.
Old 03-09-2013, 02:00 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

[QUOTE=Ridin' Green;4698958]
Quote:
Originally Posted by S man View Post
Ok so I'm looking at getting another stander soon in 32. I see both the recoil and electric start models. I recall the 18.5 which is now 15 hp is the fs541v. And the 16 which is lowered to 14 hp is the fs481v. Well both models on the floor have the same model number. The cheaper one and more expensive one with electric start both say fs541v on the engine. And one had 18.5 on it and the other didn't have an hp rating. How do I know how much power these damn engines are rated at??? I don't want to spend extra if they are the same output.
Kawasaki needs to get their .... together with hp ratings. Their website is thoroughly confusing???[/QUOTE]

Their site is anything but confusing. It is more straight forward than any other brand right now. The ratings they show for Critical Power engines are the ratings that are true and accurate. They still have some models that haven't been through the new rating process, and are still labeled under the old system, which may be what is causing your confusion.

What really matters is that whichever engine you look at or choose, and whether or not it was rated the old way or the new- the engine HP is still the exact same. Power has not changed at all. Just the way they are now being rated. The old system was over-inflated on HP ratings making people think they were getting more than they really were, and was the biggest reason for the small engine class action lawsuit a few years ago.
i understand, its just they have two main versions on most walk behinds and standers. the 480v and 541v. Actually i thought they put the 600v on some models like the grandstand. anyhow there is a $750 difference between the 32 standers. i dont mind the recoil start if the engines are the same and ill save the dough.