Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-08-2013, 12:01 AM
LawnSite Member

Magnum Edger Blades

Just a little review and suggestion.

I Tried the Magnum blades today. The were fantastic compared to just plain flat blades. I used a crescent wrench to bend the blades after uses they tend to flatten out or wear. That work great.

One other thing if these magnum blades could be bent in toward the same side; I'd like that as an option to these blades. this way the dirt says close to or inside the beds. They wear quickly, these did. I was using them on hard edges too; which wore the them on the side the flange was bent towards the concrete. Hence they be bent towards one side.

I like them better, Ill buy more until I find better.

Last edited by shortgrass01; 03-08-2013 at 12:07 AM.
Old 03-08-2013, 01:24 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

what are magnum blades? do you have a pic? i just use regular blades.
Old 03-08-2013, 06:50 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

I bought 2 for my stick edger and 2 10" blades for my walk behind edger. I made it about 100ft with the walk behind before the blade broke in half. Lucky for me, the broken piece went down into the ground and not through the shield and into me. I had to dig a few inches to get to the broken piece.

I will NEVER buy another Magnum blade again. The idea is great but the metal they use is stamped "made in china" on it. Total junk. If they used a better metal they'd be worth buying.
Old 03-08-2013, 06:53 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonsLawnCare1 View Post
what are magnum blades? do you have a pic? i just use regular blades.

The blade I was using broke on the second cut out. It shook the crap out of the edger before I could let off.
Old 03-08-2013, 10:16 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangemower View Post
I bought 2 for my stick edger and 2 10" blades for my walk behind edger. I made it about 100ft with the walk behind before the blade broke in half. Lucky for me, the broken piece went down into the ground and not through the shield and into me. I had to dig a few inches to get to the broken piece.

I will NEVER buy another Magnum blade again. The idea is great but the metal they use is stamped "made in china" on it. Total junk. If they used a better metal they'd be worth buying.
Ah Very possible I suppose, I will have to watch out for that. I don't believe it would injure you thru your clothes but you face area as often with edger's is a concern. Got my blades from Mowtown.com
Old 03-08-2013, 11:32 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

They are a great idea, but I agree with the OP, they need to have the fingers bent in one direction only for both ends. Just like a gator mower blade. I know they are made to be reversible, but that's not the best idea on this design. Too, they make a much larger groove than needed like they come.

I also agree they need to be either thicker, or better metal.
Old 03-08-2013, 01:32 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

i've seen some oregon blades that were made like a high lift mower blade without the fingers in it. i thought of trying some out but the cost is keeping me from doing it. the regular blades are only $1 a piece or so. the oregon blades were in the $3-$5 range if i remember correctly.
Old 03-08-2013, 02:42 PM
LawnSite Member

Short of using a bed edge restorer, like the bed bug.. these are next best thing I could come up with to use to get a good edge going. so many bed edges has sprinklers and this was less expensive and safest method I could come up with. I got a few blades to use with a walk behind edger as soon as I can heat and bend the finger all one direction I will be trying that method to see what happens.