Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-30-2013, 09:28 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Need some advise

I have this out of state client who travels here for vacations I. Their house. The house is prime frontage on the main road in town, everyone knows I do this lawn and its great advertising.
Back to the client. She is very old, she's 91 this year. She drives down by herself and is rough as nails. I've done this lawn for a number of years, she always paid on time and would rip me at the end of the season and give me an aloe plant. But the end of last year I hear nothing from her, I can't reach her on the phone, I sent bills to her address both away and here. No response!
This year I've already done the mowing a couple times but I'm not doing it for free. The grass is out of control and the plants are a mess. I think she might have died but I have no idea.
Plus it looks bad on my end having this prime lot get overgrown.
Suggestions? Keep going for my own good? Leave it?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-30-2013, 09:59 PM
LawnSite Member

check your local obituaries. You could probably find out with a google search
Old 05-30-2013, 10:08 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

All of my clients that have been with me a number of years and have always paid on time and sometimes a tip get a 6 month 'minimum' upkeep service for free in these particular situations, by minimum upkeep I mean I keep it from falling totally to pieces but I spread the visits out too.
Old 05-30-2013, 10:19 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Sounds like she died. Not sure I would do free work while waiting. Check with your local property appraiser office, There is prob her out of State address info listed or google her name to see if she died.
Ariens Rear Tine Tiller
(6) Trailers:
5x12, 6x12, 6x14, 8x16, 7x18, 6x22
Asus Transformer Infinity TY700 Tablet
Galaxy S3
Bananalogist

If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur.

Red Adair
Old 05-30-2013, 10:25 PM
LawnSite Member

I'd check to see where she's at; if she died, I'd submit the bill to the estate attorney. The executor of the estate would probably want you to continue to upkeep the property, but doesn't know you exist - they may have their hands full and let this slip through the cracks. Having the lawn go to hell will make the property harder to sell; it's in their best interest to keep it up and it's in yours to let them know about it. Let me know if you need help - I can probably find her in less than five minutes.
Old 05-30-2013, 10:34 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Great advise guys, ill be swinging into the townhall tomorrow and seeing what I can find from there. Ill update tomorrow along with a few pictures
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-31-2013, 06:42 AM
LawnSite Member

Yup, what billyray said. I've mowed for deceased clients. Normally 3 years after their passing.

You don't have to do anything. It's the estates attorney's job to settle any and all claims to the estate. Just keep mowing and sending the bill. Sometimes it takes a while. It's like money in the bank. They're NOT going to hold up the settlement because someone didn't pay the lawn guy.

This probably isn't a good time to contact the family.
Old 05-31-2013, 07:08 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toro 455 View Post
Yup, what billyray said. I've mowed for deceased clients. Normally 3 years after their passing.

You don't have to do anything. It's the estates attorney's job to settle any and all claims to the estate. Just keep mowing and sending the bill. Sometimes it takes a while. It's like money in the bank. They're NOT going to hold up the settlement because someone didn't pay the lawn guy.

This probably isn't a good time to contact the family.
It is a good time to contact the family. Better for them to know that there is a guy that is owed money. And for them to decide whether they want to continue with your services. Because she cared about how the prop looked and was willing to pay does not mean her kids will.
Old 05-31-2013, 08:51 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 32vld View Post
It is a good time to contact the family. Better for them to know that there is a guy that is owed money. And for them to decide whether they want to continue with your services. Because she cared about how the prop looked and was willing to pay does not mean her kids will.

States have different probate laws (the legal process of administering the estate of a deceased person, resolving all claims) on the books. Here, they file a notice in the paper & you have x number of days to file a claim. Pass that deadline & your lose that money.
Ariens Rear Tine Tiller
(6) Trailers:
5x12, 6x12, 6x14, 8x16, 7x18, 6x22
Asus Transformer Infinity TY700 Tablet
Galaxy S3
Bananalogist

If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur.

Red Adair
Old 05-31-2013, 09:02 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colaguy View Post
States have different probate laws (the legal process of administering the estate of a deceased person, resolving all claims) on the books. Here, they file a notice in the paper & you have x number of days to file a claim. Pass that deadline & your lose that money.

That's why I'd find out who the executor is, contact them, and make whatever arrangements can be made - the name of the executor, if she died, is public record.

If there's no record of her death, then a quick call to her neighbors whereever she's from will let you know what happened to her. She may be in the hospitial or care home and the family is so rattled that they forgot about the lawn guy at the vacation home. She was a good customer and cared about her lawn; so it'd be nice to check on her.