Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 02-01-2013, 09:49 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodie View Post
Why not sit down with your competition and set a minimum desired rate that works for everyone that way no more undercutting. Just an idea but hey it could work.
They have a word for that. Its collusion, and its illegal.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-02-2013, 12:39 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I rented a garage and storage area to a lawn guy for over 15 years. There was never any thought about competition.
Old 02-02-2013, 01:10 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

It presents a conflict of interest...

When a business has one of their customer's lawn mowers in the shop for repairs, waiting on a part... And one of their crew members is out cutting the grass, you understand, yes ma'am I am sure it's going to be another week before that part comes in!

Now if they cut their grass for free, like a courtesy cut since the customer's mower is in their shop, that's another story.
Old 02-02-2013, 08:22 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenGuysLC View Post
Its no slap in the face. It is simply business. If he sells a product you like and isnt jacking your price....it isnt a slap. If he isnt taking customers and then flaunting it in your face....it isnt a slap. Be professional and dont wear your feelings on your sleeve. There is nothing wrong with buying from this guy. He runs two seperate businesses. He isnt creating some plot to take over your business under the cover of an equipment business. I will guarantee his equipment business isnt concerned with maintenance and vice versa
Posted via Mobile Device
Well said!

Who knows? This guy may even give you a refrence.
Old 02-02-2013, 09:42 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

dishonest business practices don't get you very far
People who operate like that get a bad rep.
Old 02-02-2013, 12:21 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Obviously there is no reaching some of you and the conversation is pointless. I give an actual real life example of this very practice and how it has effected a long term client of ours and it didn't jive with your world view so it was instantly dismissed and ignored. So be it but I do take issue with the idea that these guys run separate companies. Not from my experience they don't they keep the same name for both. And they do this to capitalize on their name recognition I got to compete against a local nursery once for a 50,000 dollar condo maintenance contract and they kept their name.

Now do not assume I do not go out of my way to help my dealers or vendors that do keep to their trades and do not go after ours. I got home at 11:45 pm last night and where was I? coming from my equipment dealers shop after spending about 5 hours there helping him find and identify a computer virus on his business net work. I once given my mechanic air fare so he could fly across the country to spend the last days with his father. I have 0 problems working with or helping my vendors and dealers but I will not put my head in the ground and pretend it would be ok if they decided to start competing against me in my field. But if your cool with that then great but I already have nearly 500 lawn care companies in my territory so perhaps I know a little bit about competition.
Old 02-02-2013, 01:39 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Theirs a company around here biggest company around here bought a farm farm is a wright dealer and kawi and redmax dealer and the farm owns a mulch yard. I buy from them but only because I know someone an they get me 20% off handhealds
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-02-2013, 04:04 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

welcome to 2013. let's start a lowballing thread to get the season rolling."My dealer is a lowballer" or somethin' like that. "My dealer wants to buy back my equipment so he can use it in his lawn service." There, that sounds about right.
Old 02-02-2013, 05:06 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groomer View Post
welcome to 2013. let's start a lowballing thread to get the season rolling."My dealer is a lowballer" or somethin' like that. "My dealer wants to buy back my equipment so he can use it in his lawn service." There, that sounds about right.
I'm just not seeing these so called lowballers here in Cincinnati. If they're here I've never noticed.

There's more than enough customers for all. I'm glad we live where we do.

F-150
14' landscape trailer
52'' Wright Stander
21'' Personal Pace
Stihl handhelds
Old 02-02-2013, 05:21 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Hey, I was just being cynical and satirical. Or trying to be, anyway.If my dealer started a lawn service/landscape side of his biz, I'd still buy from him-but he won't, he knows the market in this region. Besides, he's too busy putting exmark's together for Brinkman.