Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-31-2013, 05:42 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

New JD 900 or Ferris 3100

I have been a deere fan and currently have a z830a and a z950. I am looking at getting a new 72 inch mower. Should I go for the new 900 series or buy the Ferris 3100z? I plan on selling my Z830 to my dad and getting a new mower. Just can't decide what to get. Input please
Old 01-31-2013, 05:47 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

The new deeres look like a serious mower. Im not sure how the deeres cut in florida, but up here it is king of the hill, and ferris, well they just kind of sell mowers. Atleast around here. Would you go diesel or gas for the new machine?

PlowSite-SnowFakers
Old 01-31-2013, 06:10 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

My deere dealers says just to go get a diesel if you are going for a 72. he says very few ever go to the shop for repair. Super heavy duty machine and for a few thousand more you get a machine you wont have to replace 4 years down the road. He says the machine will outlast a mower deck. I guess the diesel is set up better to handle a 72inch than the basic frames for the gas motors. I love JD cut quality but just curious on the comfort on the Ferris.
Old 01-31-2013, 06:15 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I will chime in again on the ferris mowers around here. Many complain that while the suspension is good form the ride, the cut quality really suffers. The deck is designed not to drop when the suspension is active, but it does anyway and there have been complaints of alot of gauging. The diesel will go twice as long as any gas. Youll be replacing the frame before the motor goes out

PlowSite-SnowFakers
Old 01-31-2013, 06:26 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I'd get the r series deere and try the flex forks. They ride so rough. That's why I'm selling my z950. I just can't it much longer
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-31-2013, 06:31 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimslawncareservice View Post
I'd get the r series deere and try the flex forks. They ride so rough. That's why I'm selling my z950. I just can't it much longer
Posted via Mobile Device
Really? I tried out a deere at a dealer open house and I was up on the lawn that was trampled the weekend before during heavy rain by cars and it was really smooth for me, atleast compared to my old exmark

PlowSite-SnowFakers
Old 01-31-2013, 06:40 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LandFakers View Post
Really? I tried out a deere at a dealer open house and I was up on the lawn that was trampled the weekend before during heavy rain by cars and it was really smooth for me, atleast compared to my old exmark
Come mow some of the stuff I mow. I have a cemetery that I need the seat belt on to avoid bouncing off the seat. A mower with no suspension with solid rubber tires can't be a very good ride. At least they came out with a good seat, but not as good as the Scag cheetah seat
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-31-2013, 06:43 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimslawncareservice View Post
Come mow some of the stuff I mow. I have a cemetery that I need the seat belt on to avoid bouncing off the seat. A mower with no suspension with solid rubber tires can't be a very good ride. At least they came out with a good seat, but not as good as the Scag cheetah seat
Posted via Mobile Device
I mow some rough stuff, but not as rough as your talking! I dont think many mowers will give you a nice ride on that cemetery!!

PlowSite-SnowFakers
Old 01-31-2013, 06:45 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

But something with suspension will help. I may go with standers. I haven't decided.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-01-2013, 01:59 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Ferris decks cut great now. They are similar to the scag. The comfort is second to none. You'll have a hard time using anything after you get one. Good luck.