Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 02-28-2013, 01:32 PM
LawnSite Member

What would you do?

Hi Guys first time poster here. I have a website Id like you all to take a look at and see how I could improve it! What would you do differently?

Much thanks!

www.landtechnh.com
Old 02-28-2013, 02:17 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Really a well designed site IMHO. I would bet that you paid a pro to build it for you. I would recommend that you use your own images though.
Old 02-28-2013, 02:22 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for the feedback. Personalized images are on the way. I completely agree that my own images would be an improvement. Again, thanks!
Old 02-28-2013, 02:29 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Video/flash banner is jumpy. I'm running at about 7mbps.
Old 02-28-2013, 03:04 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for the info. I'm not running into that issue on my end, is this an issue for anyone else?
Old 02-28-2013, 04:57 PM
LawnSite Member

Yeah its not running smooth for me.
Old 02-28-2013, 11:55 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Agree with the others. The slideshow needs attention. Your host is serving it up slowly, and two of your slides are 350k'ish in size, when they could probably be 10% of that.

If you're new and haven't been lurking, I would go through the archives here and read other reviews. I've been saying this a lot lately, but they really will be of help to you and applicable to your site.

On-site SEO and better tag writing is needed. Alt tags, Titles, Meta Descrips, etc. Get locally useful with them.

Create a sitemap.xml file and then submit it to the Google and Bing Webmaster tools accounts you should create.

You really need to beef up content. You're running at less than 15% content to code, which is really quite low for a non-Wordpress site. This is more an indictment of Homestead's DIY web builder's horridly poor code base and not your doing.

Regarding the content, you really have room to expand. This will help your visitors and the search engines. For example, you list "irrigation winterization" as a service. What is that and why do I need it? (notice I didn't say "want it")

Work in local contact. It's hard to see where you service. Footer needs beefing up as well. A couple of recent reviews have some good advice from headz and myself that specifically pertains to these.

The large white space below the main content is awkward on the pages that only utilize it for a single phrase. The user has to scroll down past that and then through a gap in the black of the footer to get to the bottom content. Basically, if I wasn't specifically scrolling to find it, I wouldn't have known it was there.