Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-01-2013, 11:39 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

pipe smoking is an art that's for sure. I've been doing it not 6 months yet. already learned a lot.

right now I'm smoking falcons. my great uncle had one. I seem to love them things. have 5-7 bowls already. only use 5 of them though.
Old 02-01-2013, 11:51 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I use to always get people coming up to me while I was smoking these, and most everytime they'd tell me something like "I love that smell! My grandfather use to smoke a pipe all the time". Makes me feel like an old man. Haha
Old 02-02-2013, 12:45 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Never while mowing, I rather kick back and relax and enjoy a cigar, once or twice a month relaxing on my deck.
Old 02-02-2013, 01:47 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

I don't smoke.
Old 02-02-2013, 08:12 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I usually smoke a pipe in my truck.
6.5 x 18 trailer w/dovetail
8.5 x 24 enclosed trailer
Bobcat classic 48"
Bobcat hydro walkbehind 48"
Bobcat procat 61"
Bobcat procat 61"
Bobcat predator pro 61"
Wright Velke 48"
Scag Turf Tiger 61"
08 brute force 750,
www.yougrowillmowinc.com

http://www.youtube.com/user/nytrailriders
Old 02-02-2013, 08:15 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zechstoker View Post
I use to always get people coming up to me while I was smoking these, and most everytime they'd tell me something like "I love that smell! My grandfather use to smoke a pipe all the time". Makes me feel like an old man. Haha
that's partly why I took up pipe smoking because I LOVE the smell.

now there was a guy who questioned why people smoke when they know its harmful. well my answer is a couple of them. one, you wanna live forever. two, I'd rather die young doing something I enjoy than live longer trying to quit something or avoid something I enjoy.

there are people out there that actually enjoy smoking. I always have in one way or another. when I was younger I smoked cigarettes. always enjoyed it but for some reason I quit. then picked up dip for a bit. now I've taken up pipe smoking.
Old 02-02-2013, 08:46 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I dip because I'm addicted. Can't quit now!

F-150
14' landscape trailer
52'' Wright Stander
21'' Personal Pace
Stihl handhelds
Old 02-02-2013, 10:33 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yardguy28 View Post
that's partly why I took up pipe smoking because I LOVE the smell.

now there was a guy who questioned why people smoke when they know its harmful. well my answer is a couple of them. one, you wanna live forever. two, I'd rather die young doing something I enjoy than live longer trying to quit something or avoid something I enjoy.

there are people out there that actually enjoy smoking. I always have in one way or another. when I was younger I smoked cigarettes. always enjoyed it but for some reason I quit. then picked up dip for a bit. now I've taken up pipe smoking.
That guy was me. It seems everyone that answered was very defensive. I know it is difficult to have a conversation on a message board because people take things the wrong way but I wasn't trying to get a rise out of anyone, I really wanted to know. I have tried tobacco both smoke and chew. The smoke I never got past the first puff. The chew I liked but I quit. I used to chew while hunting but a job that did not permit it lead me to quit. Then I dipped snuff when I started this venture but I knew it was unhealthy so I gave up all tobacco June 2011.

To answer every person who asked me if I want to live forever, it's not about living forever. I know everyone will die eventually. Some drift off peacefully in their sleep. Some have accidents. Some have life taken from them by others. Some die relatively young from diseases that are preventable but have no cure. The local paper's obit section is full of people in their 40s and 50s who died from diseases linked to tobacco. I don't think someone who makes the statement they would rather die young feels the same way when death comes knocking.

To me it is about having a quality life in my later years. There is no activity I enjoy more than having my health. We will all get older. I want to spend my time playing golf, working in my garden, playing with the dog, hunting and fishing instead of laying in a bed hooked up to oxygen or worse. There is worse and I witnessed it.

I watched a family member who smoked die of esophageal cancer. His throat closed up and he had to eat through a port in his abdominal wall. He would get nauseous and vomit only he could not expel his stomach contents because it was blocked so he would lay in the bathroom and his stomach would convulse until it wore itself out. He was so thirsty but he could not swallow water, he could just roll it around in his mouth and then spit it out. He wasted away to a mere 93 lbs when he died.

I have no illusions of living forever but I am doing whatever I can to prevent dying like that. It was a horrible way to die and directly attributable to smoking.
Old 02-02-2013, 11:19 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

well some of us would rather spend our younger years enjoying our cigarettes, cigars, pipes, dip, alcohol, food at the risk of what it will mean for us in our later years.

i'm not upset by your questions. i'm just trying to answer your questions. and that is my answer. that is where i'm coming from. that is why i smoke a pipe. that is why i smoked cigarettes.

i'm not one of those guys who necessarily wanna live to be a ripe old age. all i wanna do is enjoy life, enjoy it now. and those happen to be things i enjoy doing. if i die sooner because of it, at least i lead a good life.

that is my answer. i try and live each day as if it were my last. and i don't wanna spend my last day on earth trying to quit a bad but enjoyable habit.
Old 02-02-2013, 11:50 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

If life isn't confusing enough:

...later regretting some of the things we've chosen to do to ourselves/others (when we were younger) is also a part of life. Hedonism...make no mistake about it. Not being preachy here because the present is a gift for us to make choices - within any given moment. If our actions/choices are going to hurt anyone, I think it is best if they only affect ourselves rather than another.
Some folks are so contrary that if they fell into a river,
they'd insist on floating upstream.
~ Josh Billings