Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-24-2014, 02:52 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Scag tiger cat vs Cheetah

Looking to purchase a new mower for this upcoming season. I currently run a 52 & 36 V-ride. I need something with the ability to do more bagging so im between a 48/52 tiger cat or 48/52 cheetah. I'm planning to run the 3 bag catcher.

Tiger cat 48 FS motor $8,299
Tiger cat 52 Fx motor $8,299
Cheetah 48 motor not listed was $9,499
Cheetah 52 Kawi motor $9,799
Cheetah 52 Briggs motor $8,999

Im going to see the cheetah 52 with briggs motor in their showroom tomorrow. Not sold on that motor option but don't know if its an issue or not. Unsure what others they have to show me but said the just got a shipment in and will update me soon. Anyways I mostly do Commercial HOA and I need to be able to bag and the side catchers on the V-rides totally suck, take forever, and damage lawn unless its totally flat.

I need opinions on these two mowers to help make a better decision. Ive searched but not seen these two directly compared. thanks
Old 02-24-2014, 07:15 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Bueller? Anybody? going tomorrow would like some food for thought if possible between the two
Old 02-24-2014, 07:40 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

cheetah s going to be a faster machine with it's high low gear setting.
This is useful for transport around areas, especially if you truck is at A and you have to mow B C D and run back to A to dump the clippings.

But the Tiger Cat is a simpler more straight forward machine, and has less to break on it.

If you're working on a lot of HOAs and bagging, why are you looking at scag, specifically?

Three machines I'd be look at at are: Walker, Grasshopper and Ventrac in that order.
Old 02-24-2014, 07:47 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Let me ask you this. Do you have to go under many trees??

Let me tell ya my little story which will be food for thought. I have ran scag tiger cats/tiger cubs... the older ones were tiger cubs which were 61 velocity deck with 25 Koehler. They are OUTSTANDING mowers. Most of them I have sold off just because they were getting tons of hours and having little hydro problems. Then when they started calling that same mower the tiger cat we kept right on buying them because we liked them so much. Keep in mind these mowers we could take or leave if they didn't have the SUSPENSION SEAT!!!!!

So Im one that loves to try out new toys so I decided to try out the scag cheetah. I bought the cheetah 61 velocity with the 29 kaw.... Hydro system was waaaaaaaay to much for that engine. terribly underpowered not for mowing but when you would from a stop push the handles forward it would really strain which has never been a problem for the little tiger cats. They have the smaller hydro pumps that have been used for years and don't rob nearly as much power. The other thing I hated about this mower was you sat higher over all than with the tiger cats so my head was constantly getting ripped off by low hanging limbs. Of course if you don't have many trees this would be a non issue. Next it took no time for the hood latches etc to fall apart on the cheetah. We have some large area that we mow that I thought the cheetah would save lots of time on but to be honest there is nobody on the planet who could run one of those things across these bumpy ass areas I mow without busting your teeth out of your head.

I have come to the conclusion that If your mowing faster than what a tiger cat mows your starting to lose quality of cut anyways so I had no use for the big bad fast cheetah anyways. The platform seat was awesome for sure but you can still get on grounds that will knock the ever loving pi$$ out of you even with that seat.

I know your looking for a mower for bagging reasons And I have no info for you on that just because I never bag. Hopefully some of this will help you with your decision making. Honestly I recommend you demo them if you can. I have a friend of mine that thinks im insane for thinking that I would take a tiger cat over cheetah (he owns a cheetah) but Ive owned both and for me the cat just suites me better for MY SITUATION! I might add to that the tiger cats are shorter so more room on trailer........ I only owned my cheetah for a little more than 100 hours and hated every minute of having it. The tiger cat is such a simple machine though...... Everything is so simple to fix. Just my .02.
Old 02-24-2014, 07:58 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I will add the new cheetah is now avalible with a 31 horse power engine , it helps the hydro drive big but I did not consider it with the bagger as it to was to weak for bagging grass. The dealer said leaves was great though.

I would look at a grasshopper for the same level of machine if I was you.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-24-2014, 08:13 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35DollarLawns View Post
I will add the new cheetah is now avalible with a 31 horse power engine , it helps the hydro drive big but I did not consider it with the bagger as it to was to weak for bagging grass. The dealer said leaves was great though.

I would look at a grasshopper for the same level of machine if I was you.
Posted via Mobile Device
I agree with this post. I honestly am not a grasshopper fan but its because they do not fit MY NEEDS. For discharging grass clipping im scag all the way but ive heard good things about bagging with grasshopper.

My friend has the scag cheetah with 31 and while I could tell there was a little more power it was still very un impressed. Those large hydro pumps are just killers on those cheetahs and yes I mean in low range.

When we had my cheetah we ran it at a soccer field with thick grass with 7 days of growth on it in high gear wide open full stick and it was so under powered that it was bogging so badly there was no way you could run it that way.......... That was the only time I ever tried it. For transport it was crazy fast to get back to the trailer!!! Almost a little scary!!!!! LOL
Old 02-24-2014, 08:24 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Well unless I'm wrong, I don't think the 48 & 52 Cheetahs have the high & low range & think you can only get a 3 bin bagger for 52 & 61... Maybe not even a 52...
Old 02-24-2014, 08:32 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

mowcrazy, those are a couple of really good posts. I love reading those kind of honest comments from people who actually own the machines. And I think you're right in that, every person must find the mowers that fit their needs. I've never owned or driven a Tiger Cat but I can definitely see where they'd be excellent machines. I run Turf Tigers and absolutely love them. It's like you said, scag all the way. I ran a demo on a cheetah last year. It was a 34 Kohler carb... it cut fantastic and had tons of power. But I could see where a 29 kaw, especially with the new transaxle system might be a little under powered.
Old 02-24-2014, 08:45 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm not really sure about the hydros robbing all the power as much as there is a weight difference between the Cheetah & the Cat.. 61 Cheetah is 200 more lbs than the cat & the 61 Cheetah only uses 5400 transaxles, they don't really seam to rob that much power from any of the other machines that use them. He's looking at 48 & 52's & they use 3400 axles..
Old 02-24-2014, 10:56 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dathorpe View Post
mowcrazy, those are a couple of really good posts. I love reading those kind of honest comments from people who actually own the machines. And I think you're right in that, every person must find the mowers that fit their needs. I've never owned or driven a Tiger Cat but I can definitely see where they'd be excellent machines. I run Turf Tigers and absolutely love them. It's like you said, scag all the way. I ran a demo on a cheetah last year. It was a 34 Kohler carb... it cut fantastic and had tons of power. But I could see where a 29 kaw, especially with the new transaxle system might be a little under powered.
well now you opened a new can of worms with the turf tiger!!!! That is by far and away my favorite of all the scags BUT there are a few reasons I stick with the cats...... Number one when yards are soft those tiger cats definitely float better while the turf tiger I owned was much heavier but man that extra weight made it a nicer ride than the cats...... The main reason for me going with cats is there short and compact.... I get two tiger cats and a 48" exmark metro in my 16' enclosed and there is no room for any more length.... There is literally inches to spare....... If I went any other route I'd have to go with larger enclosed....
Posted via Mobile Device