Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 06-03-2013, 01:26 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I just took the bed edging blade off and put on a straight edging blade and it works awesome! Forget buying the edging attachment...buy some edging blades and a washer and your good to go. Just takes a minute to switch the blades over.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-03-2013, 01:34 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

heres a couple pictures...

http://www.lawnsite.com/attachment.p...1&d=1370280839
Attached Images

Old 06-03-2013, 01:51 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

We're re-doing our front flower bed. It was straight along the front and end before, with stack-able concrete edging blocks for an edging and to hold the dirt up above the surface of the grass by several inches.

I did this with my FS90 and the straight shaft edger. I cut a totally new shape to the bed with it with ease. It cut the finger sized tree roots that were just below the surface with no problem. The old shape ran pretty much along the shadow line of the roof in the pic. Then I used a flat shovel to remove the sod where needed. When I was done with removing the sod, I cut the edge again to clean it up after using the shovel to remove the sod which had "dented" the original cut edge. That cut edge is about 3" deep.

Now that the maple seeds are done falling, I am going to install the mulch sometime this week when I get the time.
Attached Images

Old 06-03-2013, 08:28 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by THIESSENS TLC View Post
I just took the bed edging blade off and put on a straight edging blade and it works awesome! Forget buying the edging attachment...buy some edging blades and a washer and your good to go. Just takes a minute to switch the blades over.
Posted via Mobile Device
Thanks for the tip.
Old 06-05-2013, 02:58 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by locallawncare.ca View Post
Ive been doing that way for years, before the kombi came out. But now you have to buy the kombi shafts with the attachments, I still dont own a Kombi motor so I have extra shafts that have no real use,lol. Unless I can get a coupler that is on the kombi, then I could use them as extensions, hmmmm.
Not sure if this was answered in the pages of this thread, but you can get just an attachment without a shaft from your Stihl dealer.
Old 06-05-2013, 03:45 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryinalabama View Post
Thanks for the tip.
I'll get ya some measurements on the size of the washer needed to save ya some guesswork...unless you've already got it up and runnin.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-05-2013, 03:47 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by StretchTTU View Post
Not sure if this was answered in the pages of this thread, but you can get just an attachment without a shaft from your Stihl dealer.
You need to check with your dealer about it. None in my area will sell you just the gearbox anymore. They, as well as the Stihl rep at our open house, all told me that the only way they get them in now is with the kombi shaft attached since their cost is the same either way and it doesn't make sense to stock both.
Old 06-05-2013, 03:54 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridin' Green View Post
You need to check with your dealer about it. None in my area will sell you just the gearbox anymore. They, as well as the Stihl rep at our open house, all told me that the only way they get them in now is with the kombi shaft attached since their cost is the same either way and it doesn't make sense to stock both.
Some of the gearbox-only prices are the same, but a few are $10-20 cheaper. The dealer just wanted to sell you what he had on the shelf instead of ordering what you wanted.
Old 06-05-2013, 04:11 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by StretchTTU View Post
Some of the gearbox-only prices are the same, but a few are $10-20 cheaper. The dealer just wanted to sell you what he had on the shelf instead of ordering what you wanted.
Not according to the rep, and I know this dealer pretty well. He doesn't "try" to sell me anything I don't want or need. He sells them the way they get them from the regional distributor now. Like I said, even the rep said that that's the way they are sending them out to the regional distributor. You no doubt have a different regional dsitributor down where you are, and they may be ordering both types. It is possible I could order one to come directly from Stihl, but in that case I'd be waiting on a special order, and the few bucks I might save by not getting the kombi shaft is not worth the delay for me. Besides, I have about every one of them now anyway.
Old 06-06-2013, 01:37 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Ok, so the size of washer needed shouldn't be any thicker than 0.145 or 3.7mm...hardly a difference there. Outside diameter is 2 1/4". And the inside diameter HAS to be 1" and no smaller. Now you have a stick edger for about a buck or whatever a washer will cost you. I would also recommend removing the little black flap on the shroud.
Posted via Mobile Device