Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 02-02-2013, 09:34 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Leary View Post
What a drag, having to apprentice under one of us before you can even apply for a license. If that's the the name of the game, I support it.
Sorry to disappoint you, but we [Texans] do not have to apprentice first. We just have to take the mandatory training course and then we can set for our license test. They really drive home the hydraulics and theory but no real world experiance included. The test is lengthy and has a high fail rate, but then again no real world experiance.
Old 02-02-2013, 10:08 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PabsMaster View Post
Thank You, I far as I know you need a license. You can do it if you are not registered business. ( AKA sense I am not 18 and dont pay taxes) but like you guys said it is not worth the risk. Oh well, I appreciate it very much. Have a good evening!

Pablo
With out a license you pretty much cannot even look at a irrigation system in Texas. Here are the rules by the state.

"A person may not sell, design, install, maintain, alter, repair, service or inspect an irrigation system - or consult in these activities - in this state unless the person is licensed by the TCEQ [Texas Commission on Environmental Quality]"

You do not have to be 18, or any other age for that matter, to take the course or test. If irrigation is something you are interested in why not go ahead and get your license. If you are just mowing while in school [nothing wrong with that young man] and do not intend to make a profession out of the landscape industry then I would not worry about irrigation license or pesticide [spraying] license and just leave that to others.
Old 02-02-2013, 10:12 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Leary View Post
What a drag, having to apprentice under one of us before you can even apply for a license. If that's the the name of the game, I support it.
Attached Images

Old 02-02-2013, 10:16 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1idejim View Post
"Anyone can glue some pipe together," right?

Educate, educate, educate.
How many times do you need to perform a proper solvent weld before you know how to do it right? Based on some of the work that has been posted on this forum .........
Old 02-02-2013, 10:50 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turf Dawg View Post
Sorry to disappoint you, but we [Texans] do not have to apprentice first. We just have to take the mandatory training course and then we can set for our license test. They really drive home the hydraulics and theory but no real world experiance included. The test is lengthy and has a high fail rate, but then again no real world experiance.
There should be a 4 year field experience requirement before one can test.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-02-2013, 11:01 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turf Dawg View Post
With out a license you pretty much cannot even look at a irrigation system in Texas. Here are the rules by the state.

"A person may not sell, design, install, maintain, alter, repair, service or inspect an irrigation system - or consult in these activities - in this state unless the person is licensed by the TCEQ [Texas Commission on Environmental Quality]"

You do not have to be 18, or any other age for that matter, to take the course or test. If irrigation is something you are interested in why not go ahead and get your license. If you are just mowing while in school [nothing wrong with that young man] and do not intend to make a profession out of the landscape industry then I would not worry about irrigation license or pesticide [spraying] license and just leave that to others.
The road goes on forever and the party never ends
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-02-2013, 03:33 PM
LawnSite Member

I wish it was like Texas over here. To get your license in my state in Aus you have to pass the 6 month course, and have 3 years field experience under a licensed irrigator (or plumber- they do not need a separate lic for irrigation). But then anyone can install or maintain an irrigation system which is why there are so many rubbish systems put in, mainly by landscapers. New developments will sometimes ask for a plan of the irrigation system and state that it must be installed by a licensed contractor and also give them as built drawings, but that is pretty rare. It's really just a free for all.

Good to hear the young bloke OP make the right decision to pass on the irrigation work.
Old 02-02-2013, 10:12 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

While we are on the apprenticeship bandwagon, I think that landscape architects should have to do installs for two years before getting a license!
Old 02-03-2013, 01:10 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autoflow View Post
I wish it was like Texas over here. To get your license in my state in Aus you have to pass the 6 month course, and have 3 years field experience under a licensed irrigator (or plumber- they do not need a separate lic for irrigation). But then anyone can install or maintain an irrigation system which is why there are so many rubbish systems put in, mainly by landscapers. New developments will sometimes ask for a plan of the irrigation system and state that it must be installed by a licensed contractor and also give them as built drawings, but that is pretty rare. It's really just a free for all.

Good to hear the young bloke OP make the right decision to pass on the irrigation work.
But you are saying that with a 6 month course and 3 yrs experience you still have junk systems, what happens when you have 40 hrs and no experience requirements?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-03-2013, 01:29 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1idejim View Post
But you are saying that with a 6 month course and 3 yrs experience you still have junk systems, what happens when you have 40 hrs and no experience requirements?
Posted via Mobile Device
That's the problem here though. You don't really need a license to do any work, so being licensed means nothing for most jobs because any landscaper or random can install a system which is why there is so much junk around. If they made it law that you have to be licensed to do any work, it would eliminate a lot of the junk.

Is the Texas course only 40 hours? I think the course here was 2 nights per week for 4 hours (maybe it was only 2 I can't remember that far back ), for 20 weeks, so that would be 80 or 160 hours in total classroom time.