Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-02-2013, 10:46 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

PE, I'm like you I'm a huge AL'r also, just thought about adding a lil umph like yourself but just couldn't seem to decide if it was really worth it my gut was telling me no guess I should listen! I'm sure they HATE AL, LOL
Old 02-06-2013, 07:05 AM
LawnSite Member

BBB is IMO over rated. They call once a year, and basically you buy your rating. I think they told me like $250 a year for their "backing". I feel like that it might put some customers mind at ease as someone said already but I feel it will not gain any new customers from it.
6x16 Landscape trailer
6x16 drop trailer
6x14 drop trailer
5x12 drop trailer
5x8tilt trailer
61 inch BadBoy Outlaw
52 inch Exmark Lazer Z ZTR mower
42 inch Bush Hog ZTR mower
46 inch Cub Cadet ZTR mower
50 inch White lawn tractor
DR 7HP Scout brush mower
6x Sthil weed whackers
Too much other junk to name
Dugan Lawn Care & Landscaping LLC
Old 02-06-2013, 09:01 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dugann View Post
BBB is IMO over rated. They call once a year, and basically you buy your rating. I think they told me like $250 a year for their "backing". I feel like that it might put some customers mind at ease as someone said already but I feel it will not gain any new customers from it.
Again, the BBB is not about gaining customers, but rather a credential that says "Your operating a legit business" I know when they called me before they would let me join (I didn't) they verified my business license, insurance and pesticide license. I haven't joined but I think at some point it would help more than it would hurt especially for marketing purposes
Old 02-06-2013, 11:19 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpllawncare View Post
Again, the BBB is not about gaining customers, but rather a credential that says "Your operating a legit business" I know when they called me before they would let me join (I didn't) they verified my business license, insurance and pesticide license. I haven't joined but I think at some point it would help more than it would hurt especially for marketing purposes
Isn't that really the same thing? If you are a BBB member, then you use whatever weight that's worth in your sales process. To me, any mediation they provide is a waaaaaaaaaay distant second to the perceived, or real, value of their membership.
Old 02-06-2013, 11:45 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonygreek View Post
Isn't that really the same thing? If you are a BBB member, then you use whatever weight that's worth in your sales process. To me, any mediation they provide is a waaaaaaaaaay distant second to the perceived, or real, value of their membership.
This is a good point and have been on both sides of the fence in which they were super helpful, fair, thorough, and really investigated the facts. Like a mentioned earlier, they are a big help when a customer tries to extort or scam you when they call the BBB with bullshit wanting big time money.
Old 02-06-2013, 12:17 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

My company is A+ but I am not accredited. Much of their data on me, address and such is now out of date.

So it is not 100% true that you buy the ratings.

I might join just to update my listing. IE my name change and website change.
Old 02-06-2013, 11:02 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonygreek View Post
I agree I guess that's why I haven't joined, I can't justify the so called value, I did look up how many other companies are in my area that are using them and it's a very very small number, so I was thinking it would be a good way to stand out from the hundreds of others. Maybe next year I'll add them in the mix.