Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-02-2013, 05:49 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Operating a Z takes skill, just like any other piece of equipment you have to learn the strengths and weaknesses of the machine. Anyone who says there is no skill whatsoever should take someone off the street and let them have at it with their machine on one of their customers lawns.
Old 02-02-2013, 05:50 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by pseudosun View Post
speaking of trimming: A potential customer once told me that they want their sidewalk edged with an edger, and i told her that i don't have one. No complaints from customers, just from this one who declined my service.
And why didn't you go and buy an edger? If you're going to be in this business you need to have every tool that is required. If you want to be the cream of the crop, you have to be able to grant every and any request that a lawn customer may ask. You treated that customer like they were a freak instead of realizing that they were just asking you to step up your game. Obviously, the edging that you're doing with a trimmer isn't good enough.

And since I'm here.... Most guys that do stripes are doing crap. They're crooked. They're uneven. They're more just tire tracks than anything else. And it's about 95% of the "stripes" I see posted here at Lawnsite.

Old 02-02-2013, 05:51 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zachj265 View Post
50% of small businesses are out of business by their second year. Those who continue to operate a business while making a profit are in my opinion "skilled".
Posted via Mobile Device
And the most profitable mowing business I've ever heard of on this site used S-10's and 21's with employees who didn't speak English. They were great business people. Quality of cut was of absolutely no concern to their customers. They realized this and capitalized on it.

F-150
14' landscape trailer
52'' Wright Stander
21'' Personal Pace
Stihl handhelds
Old 02-02-2013, 05:52 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CreativeLawncareSolutions View Post

See my signature? Beautiful, right? Took 10 minutes to learn how to operate that mower correctly. The mower does all the work. I just point it in a straight line.
So I can put you on any type mower and you can operate it in 10 minutes?

I would have to see a larger and more detailed picture before I can call that lawn beautiful. Not saying it is not but there is more to it than straight lines.
Old 02-02-2013, 05:55 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turf Dawg View Post
So I can put you on any type mower and you can operate it in 10 minutes?

I would have to see a larger and more detailed picture before I can call that lawn beautiful. Not saying it is not but there is more to it than straight lines.
Maybe I'm special? haha

F-150
14' landscape trailer
52'' Wright Stander
21'' Personal Pace
Stihl handhelds
Old 02-02-2013, 05:59 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Maybe I'm special? haha
At least we agree on that
Old 02-02-2013, 06:13 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:

I'm positive 99.9% of people can't build a deck like me. That takes skill. Mowing a lawn doesn't. There's a huge difference between the 2 things.
I disagree with this to a certain extent. Sure anybody can get a mower, heck a homeowner can get a mower and cut their yard but is it going to come out neat and clean? ... probably not. Does your average homeowner/person know the difference between when the lawn looks profesionally done...again probably not

As someone said landscaping and mowing are completely different. I agree to that. I see some of you guys landscaping work, and that does take skill. There is no way i could any of that b/c I don't have the skills or knowledge to do that. Arranging plants and flower beds is something your average person can do but wether its going to come out beautiful or not is based on skill.

And I'm not really sure what you building a deck has to do with anything in the discussion.

"There is no such thing as failure. There are only results." – Tony Robbins

Enough Said...
Old 02-02-2013, 06:22 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
If you're saying most LCO's don't care then I find that really hard to believe. In fact...I just don't believe it. Maybe there's a huge difference between Connecticut and Ohio....it's possible. I seriously doubt it, though.
Here I see a lot of LCO don't care they are there for the $$$ that's it
They don't care about the Lawn If they did they wouldn't run in the same track every week I ask one guy why does mow it in the same track each week He said its to rough going across his stripes

Then there another LCO that mows 10 acres with a scag 2 speed mower He mows in high gear he runs a striper roller and few days later the grass he didn't cut will stand up its always the middle blade not cutting

I ask him if he knew he wasn't making a clean cut He said stripes looks good all he cared about

There one LCO that edges with a trimmer I ask him why he dont use the edger he packs around. He told me that thing doesnt even run He said its for looks All I could do

That not just here either The year I went Expo in Louiville Ky Stayed at hotel and there guy there edging with a trimmer and look like 2'' of dirt showing It look really bad Then I notice a lot places look like that down there
Old 02-02-2013, 06:24 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blades Lawn Maintenance View Post
I disagree with this to a certain extent. Sure anybody can get a mower, heck a homeowner can get a mower and cut their yard but is it going to come out neat and clean? ... probably not. Does your average homeowner/person know the difference between when the lawn looks profesionally done...again probably not

As someone said landscaping and mowing are completely different. I agree to that. I see some of you guys landscaping work, and that does take skill. There is no way i could any of that b/c I don't have the skills or knowledge to do that. Arranging plants and flower beds is something your average person can do but wether its going to come out beautiful or not is based on skill.

And I'm not really sure what you building a deck has to do with anything in the discussion.
A deck is a hardscape. This was brought up as a comparison.

F-150
14' landscape trailer
52'' Wright Stander
21'' Personal Pace
Stihl handhelds
Old 02-02-2013, 06:25 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Ahhh ok gotcha

"There is no such thing as failure. There are only results." – Tony Robbins

Enough Said...