Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 02-02-2013, 07:27 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snyder's Lawn Inc View Post
Here I see a lot of LCO don't care they are there for the $$$ that's it
They don't care about the Lawn If they did they wouldn't run in the same track every week I ask one guy why does mow it in the same track each week He said its to rough going across his stripes

Then there another LCO that mows 10 acres with a scag 2 speed mower He mows in high gear he runs a striper roller and few days later the grass he didn't cut will stand up its always the middle blade not cutting

I ask him if he knew he wasn't making a clean cut He said stripes looks good all he cared about

There one LCO that edges with a trimmer I ask him why he dont use the edger he packs around. He told me that thing doesnt even run He said its for looks All I could do

That not just here either The year I went Expo in Louiville Ky Stayed at hotel and there guy there edging with a trimmer and look like 2'' of dirt showing It look really bad Then I notice a lot places look like that down there
Really? Haha. That's crazy. I'll start taking a closer look at what the competition is doing. I imagine big companies with employees do lesser quality work than the company with 1 crew. We really don't have many multiple crew companies here. We have Brickman, but that's about it.

F-150
14' landscape trailer
52'' Wright Stander
21'' Personal Pace
Stihl handhelds
Old 02-02-2013, 07:29 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CreativeLawncareSolutions View Post
And the most profitable mowing business I've ever heard of on this site used S-10's and 21's with employees who didn't speak English. They were great business people. Quality of cut was of absolutely no concern to their customers. They realized this and capitalized on it.
How years have you been in Business
Old 02-02-2013, 07:35 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snyder's Lawn Inc View Post
How years have you been in Business
10 years. I did 2 days a week lawn maintenance and the rest of the schedule was filled with hardscaping jobs. Snow plowed in the winter.

My father is retiring so I'm going over to all lawn maintenance. We had employees before...what a mess. That's just not for me.

Sent in my app for the fert liscense....just need to pass that test now. I figure I'll slowly add that in to the mix as well. No rush, though.

F-150
14' landscape trailer
52'' Wright Stander
21'' Personal Pace
Stihl handhelds
Old 02-02-2013, 07:39 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
I believe I stated that several times too. Lot's of ego and hubris on this site.

I'm positive 99.9% of people can't build a deck like me. That takes skill. Mowing a lawn doesn't. There's a huge difference between the 2 things.
If you want to say this business requires no skills, I ask you, does it require marketing skills to create an effective ad or flyer? Website designer skills if you build your own site? Mechanical skills if you service and repair your own equipment? Customer service and sales skills? I submit a Monkey cannot do all these things and that in my opinion they are all necessary skills as a owner operator. I wear many hats and none would fit a monkeys head.
Old 02-02-2013, 07:40 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I don't mean to upset anyone but the learning curve for cutting a lawn in its most basic terms, is very short. A lot of it comes down to maintaining your equipment like any other profession. Sure there are little tricks you learn and keep to make your day easier and quicker but that's something that happens in the interest of progression in any business.

Is it easier to start a Lawn Maintenance company versus something else like hardscaping, or landscaping? I would say yes as the risk isn't as great. The startup cost is a lot lower for one.

I'm not a involved in lawn maintenance other than I have quite a few friends that own successful companies in their own right. But with what I do (mostly larger retaining walls boulder and modular - commercially) There are a lot fewer companies bidding jobs that are competent. If you think there are a lot of hacks in lawn maintenance you should see some of the things people try to pull on a structural wall and how it comes back in 5 years to bite them in the ass. It's pathetic.

Basically what I'm saying it there's a lot less of a financial risk in starting a lawn maintenance company vs. other costs to start a company to build large retaining walls for example. Not everyone can go and buy a 40k attachment and 150k excavator and then actually build something that is functional and aesthetic at the same time. What's the worst thing that can happen if a lawn isn't maintained properly? Thousands of dollars to fix or bring back the turf... If I screw up a wall an entire yard, road or house can fall costing millions.

How many of you guys hire cheap unskilled labor? We can't because they are completely worthless to us. I even tried using a somewhat skilled person and the time it took me to explain things over and over just wasn't worth it, so I took what people usually do with a 3-4 man crew and I do it all alone and faster too with no impact of quality of final product. That's something to be pretty proud of.

The risks/rewards aren't the same at the end of the day..... sorry.

Last edited by Cornell; 02-02-2013 at 07:46 PM.
Old 02-02-2013, 07:47 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wegomow View Post
If you want to say this business requires no skills, I ask you, does it require marketing skills to create an effective ad or flyer? Website designer skills if you build your own site? Mechanical skills if you service and repair your own equipment? Customer service and sales skills? I submit a Monkey cannot do all these things and that in my opinion they are all necessary skills as a owner operator. I wear many hats and none would fit a monkeys head.
Apples and oranges. And I agree with you. Those skills are what seperates the men from the boys. Operating a mower and trimmer...anyone can do that.

F-150
14' landscape trailer
52'' Wright Stander
21'' Personal Pace
Stihl handhelds
Old 02-02-2013, 07:55 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Apples and oranges. And I agree with you. Those skills are what seperates the men from the boys. Operating a mower and trimmer...anyone can do that.
And what if I told you that our company only works from word of mouth and other general contractors talking and saying we are the people to contact more times than not? We don't put signs up, or have our names on our equipment, or trucks unless its required by the state. Are we just little buys then? Even though most of the time we have more work than we know what to do with?

Reputation is just as important as printing up a pretty flyer and having a Facebook page or a dime-a-dozen website.

I also have friends that have landscaping companies and market the hell out of themselves and aren't busy at all because of no reputation.
Old 02-02-2013, 07:57 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Advanced Wall Structures View Post
And what if I told you that our company only works from word of mouth and other general contractors talking and saying we are the people to contact more times than not? We don't put signs up, or have our names on our equipment, or trucks unless its required by the state. Are we just little buys then? Even though most of the time we have more work than we know what to do with?

Reputation is just as important as printing up a pretty flyer and having a Facebook page or a dime-a-dozen website.

I also have friends that have landscaping companies and market the hell out of themselves and aren't busy at all because of no reputation.
Back off, fella! I agree! I was referring to money management, time management, proper bidding, etc...

I don't care if you're solo or have 50 employees. I'm solo!

F-150
14' landscape trailer
52'' Wright Stander
21'' Personal Pace
Stihl handhelds
Old 02-02-2013, 07:59 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
10 years. I did 2 days a week lawn maintenance and the rest of the schedule was filled with hardscaping jobs. Snow plowed in the winter.

My father is retiring so I'm going over to all lawn maintenance. We had employees before...what a mess. That's just not for me.

Sent in my app for the fert liscense....just need to pass that test now. I figure I'll slowly add that in to the mix as well. No rush, though.
You are young then Your still learning the trade then

You need a Fert License in your state What about a Spraying License
That takes a lot of skill is spraying anybody can pass the test but knowing what and how much to put down is a different story

I been doing this trade since 1981 under my name I do eveything beside sprinklers
I dont how any body just mow and make in this trade I seen serval closed there doors last year due to the drought no mowing no money Myself I went did Lawn landscape Hardscape installs When it to wet do that Im mowing I allways have something to do 6 days a week Winter time plowing snow and no snow Im drawing employment and yes I can draw it My company is Inc. I make a weekly check like everybody else does
Old 02-02-2013, 08:01 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Back off, fella! I agree! I was referring to money management, time management, proper bidding, etc...

I don't care if you're solo or have 50 employees. I'm solo!
No I get that, people just think it you follow a cookie-cutter business plan they will be successful. There are a million variables to account for.

Not everyone is successful for a reason.