Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 01-19-2015, 12:32 PM
LawnSite Member

New Truck

Hello,

I'm starting up my business again after moving and a spinal injury. I have about 4-5 years actual business experience and way too much time at a PGA golf course. This time around I plan on having me, myself, and I as the only employees. I've been working on the truck for a couple weeks now and decided to turn it into a mow and go vehicle. I plan on mulching 90% of the time so space is not a big issue. I did the ramp thing once before and it proved to be too dangerous, especially with the help. This time around I decided to take matters into my own hands by welding them into the tailgate. I can post more detailed construction photos if any of you want. Just LMK. Glad to know there is a resource out there to ask those nagging questions that come up occasionally.

Later

Porter
Attached Images

www.tonsetland.com
Old 01-19-2015, 12:39 PM
LawnSite Member

more pics

more pictures...
Attached Images

www.tonsetland.com
Old 01-19-2015, 12:49 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Good and affordable solution. Ever want your truck back to normal just get a tailgate. I have the same ramps. Pita
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-19-2015, 12:52 PM
LawnSite Member

Very nice job, purpose built rig!
Old 01-19-2015, 02:14 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Nicely done.

What kind of truck? Toyota?
Old 01-19-2015, 04:04 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Nice city rig.

Don't steal. The government hates competition.

Old 01-19-2015, 04:07 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Very clean yota. Nice sign and logo too. Good luck
Old 01-19-2015, 04:08 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Smart move welding them in place. I've seen too many of those squirt out and bad things happen.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-19-2015, 04:15 PM
LawnSite Member

Yes, it is a 1986 Toyota. I believe they called it a 1ton as it can haul 2200 pounds. 42k original miles. It gets around 20mpg prior to the added weight. I plan on keeping things small to start, baby steps.

I know I mentioned I'd be a solo operator, but I do plan on growth down the road. Its been hard wrapping my head around the idea of starting over again and getting to where I was as a business before. I previously managed 180 weekly mowing accounts with an additional annoying 40 every other week customers. I ran 2 mow crews consisting of 2 48" Wright sentar rapid height mowers each, a construction crew, and a tree dude. I had dump trucks pulling enclosed interstate trailers, a backhoe, ditch which pipe puller, stump grinder, small dozer (Deere) you name it. Small seems doable to me right now, LOL. In my area trailering is a major PITA with all the hills and dead ends. I have seen other operators running around with jacked up trailer tongues and frames. Ahh, the good old days.

I guess I should mention more about the build. The ramps are from Lowe's @$52 each. The landscape body is made from bed frames found in the free section of Craigslist. You need to jump on those ads as they don't sit long. I picked up a tailgate at U-Pick junk yard for $50 just to spare my original gate. Lumber was @$85 at Lowe's. Tarp rack was made from some bed frame material and metal tubing/rod from the metal bin at Ace HW, $11. Tarp was a 3.5'x12 drop cloth (expensive no-slip safety kind, its all there is in that size) I found on amazon $31. D-rings are salvaged from one of my old HD equipment trailers. I had a bunch of other hardware laying around to use up as well. Paint I got off the scratch wizard on eBay, sort of matches @$59. Line trimmer rack was a hangover from the last time around. It had to be cut and re-welded to fit my application. I apologize as some pics won't upload and others are sideways. Get out the barf bag!
Attached Images

Old 01-19-2015, 04:23 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriot Services View Post
Smart move welding them in place. I've seen too many of those squirt out and bad things happen.
Posted via Mobile Device
Yes, sadly I've eaten an aerator and mower when a tine grabbed the top of a ramp and the deck grabbed it too. I will never use loose ramps again and have scars on my shins to prove why. I do have an enclosed 12' trailer in storage for my 52" hydro exmark should the need arise.