Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-04-2013, 10:18 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Kohler efi

Several years ago we were asked by Kohler to be Florida's BETA site for their EFI (Bosch) software. The overall performance and reliability of EFI engines is very impressive and everyone should seriously consider the system when purchasing larger mowers. A lot of people talk it down because they don't understand it but they don't understand the EFI on their vehicles either.

Exmark's 2013 RED TECHNOLOGY Kohler EFI engines don't have a throttle, just a 3 position switch plus an electronic governor. The RED TECHNOLOGY, combined with the E governor allows up to a 40% fuel savings plus the clutch will last much longer. The ECU engages the clutch @ 2750 rpms and disengages @ 2500. The E governor will also work with carbureted engines.

Oldtimer
Old 02-04-2013, 02:48 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
Several years ago we were asked by Kohler to be Florida's BETA site for their EFI (Bosch) software. The overall performance and reliability of EFI engines is very impressive and everyone should seriously consider the system when purchasing larger mowers. A lot of people talk it down because they don't understand it but they don't understand the EFI on their vehicles either.

Exmark's 2013 RED TECHNOLOGY Kohler EFI engines don't have a throttle, just a 3 position switch plus an electronic governor. The RED TECHNOLOGY, combined with the E governor allows up to a 40% fuel savings plus the clutch will last much longer. The ECU engages the clutch @ 2750 rpms and disengages @ 2500. The E governor will also work with carbureted engines.

Oldtimer
Not only will you save all that money on fuel...but you wont ever have to replace the throttle cable..
Thats probably gonna gonna narrow your repair options on the day that it needs repair..
Guessing aint good enough any more....
Old 02-05-2013, 09:47 AM
LawnSite Member

Call some shops in ur area ask if the have a tester

See if they can test the module if you bring it to them and pay the diag fee then change it yourself or see if they will install for the diag fee?? Doesnt hurt to ask?
Old 02-05-2013, 11:32 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

If you are actually serious about repairing the mower take it to a dealer get it diagnosed.

Would you take the ECU out of your vehicle and take it to a dealer?

Oldtimer
Old 02-05-2013, 12:24 PM
LawnSite Member

Thats the same thing I just said

I did not say ... take module off and go see em they couldnt install like i said if he only took the module????
Old 02-06-2013, 10:06 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Anyone knows the status on this mower.
Old 02-06-2013, 11:17 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Nothing is going to happen until he takes the mower to a dealer for a check out.

Oldtimer
Old 02-11-2013, 08:23 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jusmowin View Post
Hi Everyone, I recently picked up a 2005 walker MT w/26 efi kohler with 300 hrs on it very cheap not running. So far it seems to have ggod compression and Ive put new spark plugs, checked the oil and allthe fuses and put new plugs in and checked all the connections even tried some fuel down the carb and spray starter and nothing seems to get it to crank over. Im going to put a compession gauge on it, check the computer,coils and fuel pump and change out the fuel filter and might even clean out the fuel tank. Can anyone help me me with this motor as i dont have alot of experences with efi kohlers. Thanks in advance Jusmowin
How is that walker coming along
Old 03-01-2013, 07:24 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by piston slapper View Post
Most of the issues with the EFI systems are poor connections..
It might take a half hour...but...if you unplug and plug back in every connector you can find...and clean every ground..
It'll probably be fixed...a bad ground is the usual suspect..
I second that...... I wasted a lot of time checking other things..... All I needed to do was clean all thoughts wonderful connections
Old 03-01-2013, 09:31 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

You can clean all you want will do you no good if you have bad ECU