Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-05-2013, 08:19 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnmtn View Post
the C65 has a 366 long block. it gets around 6-8 empty and 6 with a heavy load. the more time spent in the low range gears the worse the milage is.
Thanks for the info. That's about what I figured on the mpg. I'm looking at an '87 this weekend. It has a 366 and Allison in it. I'll have to see what it feels like with the auto trans. I have another one to look at as well. Its an ex-firetruck converted to dump. Less than 10,000 original miles and literally looks new. The guy says it has a 350 in it, so we'll see if he really knows what he has. It's pretty flat around here...but not small block flat.
Old 02-05-2013, 01:16 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Gas with an automatic in a bigger truck like that might not be the best for towing heavy loads.
Old 02-05-2013, 01:18 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I've owed a total of 8 Duramaxs over the years. Still have 4 of them and they are leaving this spring. Fuel is too costly and the problems just aren't work the extra power. All but one have had a major problem which GM took care of all but the last one.
Injectors, Heads, Turbos, Wiring Harness, injectors, glow plugs, more injectors........................ Down time back orders yada yada yada.
It's just not worth it or I must have the worst luck.
2008 2500HD Extra Cab Flat Bed 4WD chevy loaded with 120K
2004 2500HD " " pick up 4WD loaded with 190K
2005 4500 4WD Kodiak 60K Dump
2004 4500 2WD Kodiak 170K Flat dump w/sides
All Automatics make some offers as I'm going all gas in the light truck line of mine.
Old 02-05-2013, 02:19 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I have had great luck with my 4 Duramax trucks going back to 01. One head gasket in my 5500 which I traced back to the guy driving the truck and not watching the gauges.

That being said, I agree that times have shifted if you are not going to take advantage of the big power by pulling big loads and making money with said truck, I dont see the investment paying off. Especially when the gas trucks run so trouble free.

Proudly running CASE and Takeuchi equipment.
Old 02-05-2013, 02:24 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksss View Post
I have had great luck with my 4 Duramax trucks going back to 01. One head gasket in my 5500 which I traced back to the guy driving the truck and not watching the gauges.

That being said, I agree that times have shifted if you are not going to take advantage of the big power by pulling big loads and making money with said truck, I dont see the investment paying off. Especially when the gas trucks run so trouble free.
The only thing I've done to the 6.0 gassers is an occasional set of manifolds or bolts and that's cheap compared to when a smoker goes in the shop.
Old 02-05-2013, 06:50 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

All of our trucks are GMC Duramaxs. Never had problems other than front wheel bearings at 100k and brakes.

What's the point of buying a 6.0 just to dump all that money into it, then you still only have 4 studs per cylinder even with aftermarket studs and a stock powered truck.

Point of a diesel is the torque which gas trucks just don't have and that's what makes them good for towing. The LML has 765 tq, 2013 6.7 Cummins has 850 and the Ford has 800. No gas truck offered even comes close.

We owned a Ford v10 for a couple months and it barely got 8mpg empty so no thanks. My lifted LBZ Duramax gets 16.5-17 average and up to 20 on the highway and weights 7700 pounds. I can tow 20k pounds and don't really worry about it at all.
Old 02-05-2013, 08:17 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

torque is nice no doubt, you can get around that with gearing and split rear ends. I don't think anyone is trying to argue the benefits of a diesel. The reality is the entry price for one. There are many used gassers that can carry the weight tow the load for much less than a diesel. when you add repair expenses for a diesel as opposed to a gas engine, higher fuel prices, it doesn't always pay off. not all of us tow 10 or more tons in the mountains while carrying a full load in the bed. and I think even fewer of us do this on a daily basis. when that is taken into consideration and old gas engine truck may pay off. many construction companies not only started but thrived in the days before modern diesels.
Root Grapple
Box Blade
12" & 24" backhoe buckets
TT300E
Dingo TX425
GRI
Old 02-05-2013, 09:23 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

160,000 miles on my lbz duramax and not a single problem besides wear and tear. In my market here i could sell this truck for 23,000 easy. ( i only paid 26,500 and put 75,000 miles on it) Guy who used to work for me had the exact same truck (same year as well) but with the 6L. Truck had 60,000 miles on it and was mint. He only sold it for 12,000. I towed a 7300 pound skid steer on a 3500 pound trailer with his truck once and i would never do it again. Yes it can be done , and if you live in a relatively flat area you would be fine, once you start towing loads up slopes the diesel really starts to shine. Im not saying a Gas truck cannot do the Job-It can. But try using a diesel for the same job and i will bet you purchase a diesel.

A.E.L

Excavating, Grading, Demolition, Land Clearing, Custom Grinding Services, Storm water management, Erosion Control.
Old 02-06-2013, 09:29 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Not all values can be compared against an LBZ. That is the most desirable Diesel of any make on the market right now. The newer trucks dont hold the value near like the 06-07 LBZs and nor do the older trucks. The new gas trucks also have a 6 speed and the older models do not that will up resale of the gas trucks. Resale has to be looked at as a percentage retained compared to purchase price. I am not arguing against owning a diesel, I think if you pull heavy and a lot you need a diesel. That certainly is not the poster of this thread. Owning my 2012 has opened my eyes as to what these new gas trucks are capable of.

Proudly running CASE and Takeuchi equipment.
Old 02-06-2013, 09:16 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

My question is longevity though.. How long will they actually hold up to pulling those kinds of weights.

Bought my 02 2500hd with a 6.0 with 70,000 miles from a dealership in 04. been pulling bobcats and things with it since then. Dont forget it was only a weekend thing up until this past year or so and its now got 193,000 on it and I dont dare put anything behind it unless I am just moving it from my house to the shop (4 miles)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobcat_ron View Post

Just run the god damn sh*t out of the machine and the hell with all the other crap, make money instead of worrying about crap that only accountants think about!