Register free!

Old 02-19-2013, 02:30 PM
LawnSite Member

Spreading Pesticides with a hose end sprayer???

Now maybe I'm missing something here but it sure seems easier to apply pesticides with a hose end sprayer over dragging around a tank. Now hear out my logic.

For Example,
Barricade 65WG calls for .4 oz (1.5 teaspoons) /1000sqft. So if the area that I'm treating is 2000 sqft I should be able to add .8 oz (or 3 teaspoons) to my hose end, add water to the hose end container, shake to dissolve the chemical and spread evenly (the whole jar) over the 2000 sq ft?

What am I missing? Am I complicating things with my approach?
Old 02-19-2013, 02:35 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

if i understand correctly.. straight from water hose? i think the concern would be chemicals backflowing into the water supply.
Old 02-19-2013, 02:37 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

You'd also need permission from homeowner to hook up to their spicket.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-19-2013, 02:39 PM
LawnSite Member

So I could attach a backflow preventer after getting permission from the homeowner???
Old 02-19-2013, 03:12 PM
LawnSite Member

If you do that method, then customers will ask themselves why they need you when they can do it themselves. Home depot and lowes sell premixed chemicals that any homeowner can attach to their hose, spray then throw away the container.
Old 02-19-2013, 03:16 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blakescape View Post
If you do that method, then customers will ask themselves why they need you when they can do it themselves.
You are Correct. But consider, it is easy for us because we know what we are doing. If it were as easy as just a hose end sprayer the then everybody would be doing it.
Old 02-19-2013, 03:24 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

IMO it would look unprofessional. Then you gotta mix up chemicals at every stop too.
Old 02-19-2013, 03:55 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by inzane View Post
IMO it would look unprofessional. Then you gotta mix up chemicals at every stop too.
i agree with this. AND think about time on every job. most of ur yards arent gonna be 2k. if you have a 8k yard you gott get the hose off then spray which seems it will take a while and the homeowner will prob think whats this guy doing that looks easy ill do it myself if hes gonna use my wtr. BUT will it work? i dont see why not
Old 02-19-2013, 07:11 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Hose-end sprayers are not really meant for wettable powders. Frequent agitation is important. And the chance of plugging the small orifice is high. Furthermore, the mixing ratio is not particularly reliable. Could vary depending on pressure. You have to drive a truck to the house anyway. Did you plan to use the customer's hose also? If not, its a big hassle to haul around 200 feet of hose without an electric reel.
Old 02-20-2013, 09:08 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by overtona View Post
Now maybe I'm missing something here but it sure seems easier to apply pesticides with a hose end sprayer over dragging around a tank. Now hear out my logic.

For Example,
Barricade 65WG calls for .4 oz (1.5 teaspoons) /1000sqft. So if the area that I'm treating is 2000 sqft I should be able to add .8 oz (or 3 teaspoons) to my hose end, add water to the hose end container, shake to dissolve the chemical and spread evenly (the whole jar) over the 2000 sq ft?

What am I missing? Am I complicating things with my approach?
I would be HORRIFIED if a landscaper asked me if they could spray pesticides through my hose that my kids drink out of and I use for watering my vegetables. I don't care where you claim the back flow preventer is placed, etc.
Just wondering, how difficult was the North Carolina pesticide applicator's exam?

Last edited by mikesturf; 02-20-2013 at 09:16 AM.