Old 04-23-2015, 10:11 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

PGR'S on warm season turf vs spreading

In your EXPERIENCE do PGR'S such as trinexapac inhibit or enhance the lateral spreading of warm season grasses.
Old 04-23-2015, 11:13 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

In my EXPERIENCE, PGRs slow down the lateral spread of bermudagrass. Zoysiagrass spreads slowly anyway and I've never had the need to spray any PGRs on it. I've not treated any other warm-seasons with it, either.

PGRs are certainly going to slow plant growth. The Type IIs (Primo, Cutless, Trimmit) will help improve density in areas that are already established and 100% covered, but they all will slow down lateral spread into less dense areas.

If you're trying to fill in thin or bare spots (or establish from sprigs or plugs), drop the PGRs.
Old 04-24-2015, 11:21 PM
LawnSite Member

I will second Skipster. Enhance some for established, inhibit weaker spots. I've used it on bermuda, zoysia, and bent (not warm I know).
Old 04-26-2015, 03:24 PM
LawnSite Member

Put down Primo last year on my Tif419 yards I was mowing at 3/8". On my own lawn, I can mow every other day but I know customers weren't willing to pay for that, plus we had too much work to be mowing that often. The Primo really helped slow down the upward growth and increased the stress tolerance- we were in once/week water restrictions and most of the lawns never showed a hint of drought stress. The gibberellin-II inhibitors like Primo will increase root mass and depth on established turf, but I wouldn't put it on thin areas because seems to slow down rhizome and stolon spreading. From a physiological (textbook) standpoint it shouldn't stop the spreading, but in practice I've seen that isn't really the case.

TPC Sawgrass had a big problem with this last year on their greens before the Players Championship- the harsh winter slowed green-up, then when Primo was applied too early it slowed it to the point that the greens weren't in anywhere near good condition when the tournament rolled around.