Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-09-2013, 03:43 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Call from customer: Your truck just left a huge pool of oil in front of my driveway.

Today was the second time I've received this call from an entirely different neighborhood. Of course it all took place yesterday so all that was left was the 5' diameter oil stain in the road. So I used purple power & a scrub brush to try and wash it out.
Let me tell you ahead of time, I can't answer any questions concerning details from you guys like times & asking the helpers etc, etc. Two different settings & business types but both wrongfully accused. In both cases there was nothing to spill nor leak from either truck. My question here is how does this happen & where does it come from? Is it the spray guys accidentally knocking over a bucket or something? Just a huge pool stain,,, no drips down the roadway, nothing.. I'm stumped.
Old 02-09-2013, 04:08 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Ok, here's a better version of my question.

Of course it all took place yesterday so all that was left was a 5' diameter oil stain in the road. So I used purple power & a scrub brush to try and wash it out.
Let me tell you ahead of time, I can't answer any questions concerning details from you guys like times & asking the helpers etc, etc. The company I work for delivers furniture & was supposedly parked in front of the neighbors freshly brick pavered driveway and leaked oil all over the place according to the homeowners afternoon dog-sitter. The owner told me today how the paver company just finished the job which started 5 months back in September. She suggested how she'd never recommend them because she had to get the sherriffs dept involved & the BBB etc. So I'm wondering if they accidentally dumped something while finishing up & blamed it on our delivery truck. There was nothing to spill nor leak out from the vehicle. My question here is how does this happen & where does it come from? Just a huge pool stain,,, no drips down the roadway, nothing.. I'm stumped.
Old 02-09-2013, 04:25 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Here in Tulsa sometimes the trash truck will dump a bunch of hydraulic fluid. This has happened in my area a couple of times.
Old 02-09-2013, 04:30 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Trash truck, never thought of that. Thanks-!
Old 02-10-2013, 10:59 AM
LawnSite Member

Call from customer: Your truck just left a huge pool of oil in front of my driveway.

Did you guys use mixed gas and pour it on the driveway while filling up a handheld or backpack? The mix gas always leaves an oil looking mark on driveways, roads, or anything like that. I don't know if that is what happened, but it has happened to us before. If it wasn't from your truck, I'd assume it was a mixed gas spill.
Old 02-10-2013, 11:27 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Our furniture delivery truck was blamed, no gas or oils of any sort. During tennis last night my friend described how his lawn service has received blame on occasion unnecessarily. Your consideration is valid, thanks.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-10-2013, 11:35 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Bring out the truck and show them there is no leak.
Old 02-10-2013, 12:32 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELS Landscape View Post
Bring out the truck and show them there is no leak.
I'm thinking they know already that it wasn't really from us. After a good scrubbing yesterday she offered me cash (think I saw a $20 in there) but I refused. I'm already on the clock & if this gains a more excellent reputation for the store then that goes far beyond any "How To---Customer Service Program". My main thrust was the puzzlement of where did it come from & how many of you guys have received the blame & was reconciled by finding the true culprit.
Old 02-10-2013, 12:51 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by clydebusa View Post
Here in Tulsa sometimes the trash truck will dump a bunch of hydraulic fluid. This has happened in my area a couple of times.
Trash truck's have a ton of hydraulic fitting's and hose's and they leak every time they stop for a can.
Old 02-10-2013, 03:01 PM
LawnSite Member

Small time BS, man. What happens when you have 300 accounts and you have people calling and crabbing everyday? Normally its the same people that call day in and day out, if thats the case drop them and the headaches associated.

What do you think the trash company says when someone calls and tells them that the trash truck left oil all over the street? "YOU DONT OWN THE STREET, TAKE A HIKE".