Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 02-05-2003, 12:43 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Returning Phone Calls

In the years past I had a 48 Hour rule, just because when I am out working a long day, the last thing I feel like doing is making calls when I get home As I think about what I can do to improve for this season I am going to try to take the call as it comes in instead of letting the machine pickup. I will have my calls fowarded to my cell.

What do you do?
Old 02-05-2003, 12:49 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

This is what I do:

1st: I give my customers all of the numbers and emails where they can reach me at

2nd: I have my secretary answer the phone when possible

3rd: When we take a lunch break I come back to the office and see if I have to return any calls, which I do so at that time before I head back out

4th: I will call into the office usually about 3 times a day to check and see if anyone has called that I have to call back immediately

Finally: I return phone calls within 24 hours. Customers don't like to be left in the dark.
Old 02-05-2003, 01:04 AM
LawnSite Member

As a solo operator, my cell is my main phone and it's always on me. If I can hear or feel (vibration) it ring and I'm not running a mower or trimmer, I'll answer it. I always keep a little spiral binder in my back pocket to take information.

Old 02-05-2003, 01:55 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Usually my wife is in the office and answers the phone. If she knows I am in the area, she calls me on the radio and I deal with the call as soon as I can. Other times I have my office # call forwarded to my cell. I check it 3 times a day and deal with most estimates/other calls on the way home. Any calls that come in after 5:30 pm I usually leave for the next day. After a long day I don't feel like taking any more calls.
Old 02-05-2003, 07:33 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

We respond to the call the same day. Most of our customers are commercial accounts so we make every effort to provide prompt service.
Old 02-05-2003, 10:13 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

I have my cell number on my business line so a customer can get a hold of me immediately. I return all calls the day they were left for me.

Gravely_Man
Old 02-05-2003, 11:17 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Call forward to the Cell ... ALL calls returned SAME Day

2 Years ago ... I had it set up with all calls going to the shop n if some-one was there or even the machine picks up n I check in couple times day ....

Just so happens I'm in the shop Saturday doing some work on personal stuff (not work related) n I check the machine from an earlier message in the AM ..... which is a commercial bid ..... I call back to get their machine .... leave message ..... later no return call so I call back 8AM Monday n the bid was already awarded ....bout a mid fiq 4 digit monthly income (town-home complex of 15 buildings)

So now I leave the cell on n catch most calls when they come in (except Sunday I don't do nothing work related Sunday) .... we do a large commercial storage across from that Town home community ... same company still does that job ....that was a sweet one to let get away

" Think I'll Come Back Here ....... From
Time to Time ...... Every Now n' Then

Fantasy Lawns. Com
Old 02-05-2003, 01:02 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I am a solo op. I have my cell as my main phone, 95% of my customers know that to reach me the cell is the best way. I have a pager they can use for emergencies. I have some older customers (seniors) that just won't call it they think its long distance I guess. I can call my answering machine and retreive messages anytime I want I usually check it in between jobs. I try to return calls ASAP. I don't like to keep my customers or potential customers waiting.
Old 02-05-2003, 03:07 PM
LawnSite Member

Hey there,

Most of my customers know how to reach me. I have 3 emails an office phone home phone and a cell phone as well as a pager. i 've told my customers if i don't return you message within 8 hrs consider me dead.
Old 02-05-2003, 03:42 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I leave the cell right in the ahsetray (dont smoke), and I can check msgs in between sites so that if a call needs to be returned asap I can probably get back to them w/in 20 mins of their call.

I think that if you let calls ride for more than THAT biz day as Steve said its easy to have opportunity pass you by!!