Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-05-2013, 05:22 PM
LawnSite Member

Second guessing myself

I have been looking at a new jd 710a the more i read about it they call it a part time commercial machine. should i look for somthing else? i only have 7grand total to spend, and as of right now i only have like 6 customers for upcoming season. I just dont want to make a 7000 dollar mistake. the dealer says i will have no problems working the hell out of it week in and week out. I also should add the jd dealer is 5mi from house so pretty convenient for parts or any thing else i should need. it is on sale for like 6400 so it seems like good deal plus has good warranty 2 year 700 hour. any help would be appreciated
Old 02-05-2013, 06:57 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I owned a Z720 in 2011. It was a fine machine and is full commercial quality. Deere likes to use the "part time" terminology because they want to lead more people to buy their top of the line 900 series. If they told the truth, more and more guys would be buying the 700's instead.

The frames on the 700 are not "similar" as Deere claims either. They are identical. I have compared and measured them side by side. I currently own a Z950, and the reason I moved to this one is because I wanted more power for some of the stuff I do, but mainly for the MOD deck.

The only differences are in more engine choices for the 900, the 900 comes with the option for the MOD system, the better seats on the 900's, the slightly larger transmissions, the wheels and tires, the on board diagnostic system which is not really much a of a big deal. Last, the cast iron bumper on the 900. None of those things make the 900 more "commercial duty" in reality.

Just an FYI from someone who has mowed with both for an entire season, the 700's actually ride much better than the 900's do due to their pneumatic front tires, and the fact that the rear tires that are just slightly too wide for the rims they come on which makes them have very good sidewall flex to soak up bumps.
Old 02-05-2013, 07:13 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I would pick that up man. As Ridin said they are both extremely similar and at 6 lawns you'll be covered be covered by that warranty for 2 years no problem and not even come close to the 700 hour markin those 2 years. The 700 series is fully commercial don't let Deere fool you. Not sure if that is an 11,12,or 13'... But the 54" 710 here is going for 8199 plus tax

PlowSite-SnowFakers
Old 02-05-2013, 07:53 PM
LawnSite Member

thanks for quick response. It is on sale till end of feb then in goes up to 8100 but i got qoute and with tax it will be just over 7k. so i think im goin to purchase this week. thanks again guys
Old 02-05-2013, 07:55 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leeg83 View Post
thanks for quick response. It is on sale till end of feb then in goes up to 8100 but i got qoute and with tax it will be just over 7k. so i think im goin to purchase this week. thanks again guys
I'm sure you won't be disappointed with it! Good luck

PlowSite-SnowFakers
Old 02-05-2013, 07:58 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Just an FYI- Oregon G6's work awesome under the 7 Iron II deck.
Old 02-05-2013, 09:47 PM
LawnSite Member

I bought a 710 in 2010 after pondering the same thing. I had around 10 yards plus two commercial properties and liked the price compared to the 900 series. The other factor was the L110 I owned and the kohler engine that ran great for 7 years cutting my own lawn, made me a kohler fan. The kohler being on the 710 made the decision easy even though JD was trying to steer me to a kawasaki on the 900. I demoed the 710 and it ran great, cut great. I wanted a mulch kit on it though when I picked it up. I cut with it for a few weeks and noticed it sounded like it was losing power, not bogging in thick grass, just losing power. I could barely get it back on the trailer. Checked everything, oil was clean and full, same fuel in my walk behind and no issues. Took it straight back to the dealer and left it. They called me the next day and said it would need a new motor and still never could tell me exactly what caused it. I asked them what could they do if I did not want a new motor on a 3 week old machine. If you are planning to mulch, I would not buy it. The motors work extra hard especially mulching bermuda for 23 hp at that time. Bottom line, they took the money I had put down, my trade value from the L110, and my first payment and put it all towards a Z920 with a kawasaki. Never have any motor issues mulching with it. I did like the ride and the seat. I can cut some slopes with the 920 that the 710 slid on though. If they make enough of anything, sometimes there are a few bad ones. What the dealer did to correct the problem in my case at least is why i go to JD. Their customer service and service department are great. The 710 left just as good of a cut compared to the 920 I have.