Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-05-2013, 06:34 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yardguy28 View Post
I'm with you DA......when I think lowball I think scrub and when I think scrub it's not necessarily about prices. could be no insurance, no license or using home owner grade equipment.
So someone who is starting out with home owner grade equipment but does the same or better quality of work as you would still be considered a scrub?

"There is no such thing as failure. There are only results." – Tony Robbins

Enough Said...
Old 02-05-2013, 06:51 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl G View Post
I don't agree. Mowing is a service, not a commodity and there usually is a difference between what a lowballer provides and what a true professional does. Denpendability, cutting at the proper height, quality of the cut, trim, edging and cleanup can all vary greatly. I'm sure we've all seen guys cutting a lawn too short, scalping edges with the trimmer, leaving a lawn looking like Clumpville, blasting houses and filling beds with clippings and leaving the hard surfaces a mess.

There are some people who just want the grass cut and don't care about that stuff, but there are others who are picky about the appearance of their lawns and the lowballers will not be able to satisfy them regardless of their price. Those are the types of customers I seek out...they're willing to pay for quality and dependability. Yeah, I have some crappy lawns for customers with low expectations, and honestly it's sometimes a relief to work on them, but I get much more personal satisfaction manicuring a nice property and looking over my shoulder as I drive off and saying to myself "damn that looks nice."
I see your point. Sure you are going to have a few lowball hackers out there, but there are also going to be a few hackers charging the going rate.

Mow and go is simple stuff so I don't see every lowballer making a mess.
Old 02-05-2013, 07:57 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Again, I think it's the higher end lawns where the differences really show up. It's hard to tell if somone hacks a crappy weed invested lawn that hasn't been fertilzed since the 80 year old widow's husband died 10 years ago, and those tend to be the customers that tend to be looking for cheap anyway.
Old 02-05-2013, 08:05 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by clydebusa View Post
The ones that charge more than others are expensive.
Or, the people who think that way are cheap.

Anyone remember back in the day when Bobby G would have put a shovel in the OP's head.

STOP WORKING FOR FREE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 02-05-2013, 08:22 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blades Lawn Maintenance View Post
So someone who is starting out with home owner grade equipment but does the same or better quality of work as you would still be considered a scrub?
in my PERSONAL OPINION, yes.

the very first day I started servicing properties I had an exmark 36" metro, a stihl fs55 trimmer and a stihl br 400 blower. insurance company had been called and was in the process of being set up.

but since you don't know me or my quality you can't really say the same or better quality work as me. that would never happen.
Old 02-05-2013, 08:40 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Huh interesting...sounds like you feel really proud of yourself for starting with commercial equipment.

I never said I knew you. I was saying I don't think you should be prejudice towards people who you don't even know and their circumstances.

"There is no such thing as failure. There are only results." – Tony Robbins

Enough Said...
Old 02-05-2013, 08:59 PM
LawnSite Member

In my opinion most of us have been a low baller at one time or another when starting our business , as you grow your business get insurance , start paying uncle sam his money , costs go up and so does your price. Along the spectrum every one has a place and the entire system could not operate without everyone , yea it sucks when someone takes your business , but i don't know how many time i have had someone cancel for a better price just to have them come running back to us , and you know when customers do that they usually don't fall for the low price thing again. The low ballers have a important role they care for lawns that would normally not be able to have a lawn service and these are customers that most legit company's would not want anyhow , and the bottom line is they make the legit company's look good. People will pay for quality and low ballers do not affect this , let them do there thing not worth stressing over , and most people get there start doing this , heck i remember when i was 14 push mowing lawns in the trailer hood for 5 or 10 bucks each , but i wasn't trimming or anything like that , i wasn't taking anyone elses business , no one wanted those lawns , low ballers actually make the legit company's look good. Just my opinion . I meant no offense to any one who disagrees.
Old 02-05-2013, 09:03 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by THORNTON SERVICES LLC View Post
In my opinion most of us have been a low baller at one time or another when starting our business , as you grow your business get insurance , start paying uncle sam his money , costs go up and so does your price. Along the spectrum every one has a place and the entire system could not operate without everyone , yea it sucks when someone takes your business , but i don't know how many time i have had someone cancel for a better price just to have them come running back to us , and you know when customers do that they usually don't fall for the low price thing again. The low ballers have a important role they care for lawns that would normally not be able to have a lawn service and these are customers that most legit company's would not want anyhow , and the bottom line is they make the legit company's look good. People will pay for quality and low ballers do not affect this , let them do there thing not worth stressing over , and most people get there start doing this , heck i remember when i was 14 push mowing lawns in the trailer hood for 5 or 10 bucks each , but i wasn't trimming or anything like that , i wasn't taking anyone elses business , no one wanted those lawns , low ballers actually make the legit company's look good. Just my opinion . I meant no offense to any one who disagrees.
This forum needs a "like button."
Old 02-05-2013, 09:34 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by clydebusa View Post
The king of all low-ballers Wal-Mart. But successful!
Very good point...
Old 02-05-2013, 09:43 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

And the king of quick and crappy, McDonanlds...but at least it's consistent, lol.