Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-19-2013, 05:44 PM
Sponsor

Hi pieperlc,

We really don't want to set a time table and then not meet our promises. Obviously something like this takes months rather than weeks to perfect. That is about the best indication I can give you. Both devices would definitely work with Jobber though.

Blackberrys might be a different scenario altogether!

Jeff

Watch our 14 minute Quick Tour Video

Email: info@getjobber.com
Web: www.getjobber.com
Toll Free: 1-888-721-1115
Twitter: @GetJobber | Jobber on Facebook

Old 02-26-2013, 03:07 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

So for right now, a cellular data plan would be required to run anything through jobber? For example, if I send my tech out, can he input information for chemical tracking purposes if he is not connected to the internet?
Old 02-27-2013, 10:26 AM
LawnSite Member

If you have verizon you can add a tab for $10 per month. Do not let that hold you back from getting a software like jobber or Service Autopilot.
Old 02-27-2013, 10:59 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

I use my Ipad all day long. We looked pretty far into the management software, but over the years have developed our own systems which we just transferred. Honestly we only use the data plan for email and weather on the road. We tried the quickbooks apps and they work, but were not great so they are only emergency based now. We also tried CC processing, but we do not do a ton of on the spot transactions so the benefit has been minimal. Our contracts are a little more than the basic forms so we never went real deep into those software items and we rarely create on the spot. What we do use is pdf signing which allows us to bring the job contracts for signatures on the spot, change orders, etc. We use it daily for estimate note taking, calendar items, service entries, etc. If you do not have a system you can adapt already the few companies out there could be helpful. The biggest thing we found is support sucks for many in the tech app world. There are new apps everyday so if a company is not at the top they typically fall away very fast and support suffers. I find the Techo and Belgard apps to be bulky and I would never use them for estimating. They are nice to show product, but old school catalogs still work better. There are a million create data forms apps, but almost all we tried are garbage and the ones that were decent still had poor support for issues.

All that said we are small and do not have a ton of guys to keep track of, If we did I would most likely invest in a management service.
Old 02-27-2013, 01:24 PM
Sponsor

@pieperlc,

That's correct — to access the software and interact with it in the field a data connection is required. This has become less and less an issue over the past several years, and coverage continues to get better even in rural areas. Jobber does have calendar syncing capabilities as well as PDF printable Day Sheets so that you and your employees can still have the information you need in the field when data access isn't available.

Offline storage and access is something we will be offering when we tackle our native apps, however syncing from offline is a notoriously messy and unreliable approach, which most software hopes to avoid having to deal with by leveraging near ubiquitous data network availability. We realize that some of our customers do work in areas that still have a lot of catching up to do where network availability is concerned, and so do plan to offer some syncing capabilities, but there is always a trade off between development effort required, reliability and other feature priorities.

We want to make sure that we're always devoting our product development resources in the areas that will make the most positive impact for our customers. Native mobile is currently a big part of that, but of course there are numerous other competing priorities as well.

Cheers,
Sam @ Jobber

Watch our 14 minute Quick Tour Video

Email: info@getjobber.com
Web: www.getjobber.com
Toll Free: 1-888-721-1115
Twitter: @GetJobber | Jobber on Facebook

Old 02-27-2013, 06:19 PM
LawnSite Member

What I really need my iPad to do is #1 WOW my potential customer with a concept design. I think I got that figured out using sketchup 8 and a viewer app to show the design to the customer. It takes time to prepare but I think with enough practice I could get pretty quick. What I really need #2 is an estimating app to quickly be able to generate a rough budget number for a customer that they could understand. By the way, I would use this app during the initial consultation. What I hope to accomplish is to again wow the potential customer but more importantly establish a realistic budget that the customer helped me to create. That way I could know early on wether I was coming or going and not wasting a ton of time preparing a concept and proposal.

As an aside, anyone have a good system to prequalify during the initial contact?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-27-2013, 07:24 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

SOunds Like a GREAT ideal...

the only issue I see with it is that sales people will JUMP ALL OVER YOU........

trying to sell you CRAP