Register free!

Old 02-12-2013, 11:34 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irrigation Contractor View Post
If you really want to get into irrigation, then start with service.

When new comers start off, they get tons of installs because they are cheaper. It all comes tumbling down when they cannot service the customers. We lost a builder 3 years ago because a new company cut our prices 25%, a year later we were called back, the customer had their tail between their legs asking us to not only come back, but repair and service all the crap from the new guy who was now liquidating.

The view of larger companies having allot more overhead is somewhat misleading. Our commercial building and land will be paid for in 3 more years, plus it costs me less than what rent would cost me. What about all those trucks and trenchers? Well out of 5 trenchers, 3 are paid for and out of 12 trucks we own 10 of them.

Sounds like your doing pretty good maybe you could use a little friendly competition to keep your pricing in check?

Back to service, I would be willing to bet like TX Irrigation, my main service techs and install foreman probably are making more money than you are at this point.

When is the last time you payed one of your guys $700 for one day.

Many cannot comprehend the idea of paying their employees upwards of $50,000 plus a year. They are completely worth it, they stick with me because they make good money and because they stay and hump a$$ for the company.

I'm just reaching on this one but I bet your 50k guys are on salary and your probably working them 60 plus hours a week in the season and your still squeezing 40 a week out of them in the winter. So at the end of the year
if you add up the hours and OT they might be making 11 or 12 an hour.

If you are into landscaping or mowing, why would you even want to get into irrigation??

To make more money... Provided better service for my clients... Professional obligation to my trade, I wouldn't consider myself a well rounded landscaper if I couldn't troubleshoot or install an irrigation system...

If I had to do it all over again, I would have become a Landscape Maintenance company because they are the largest companies in the area bringing way more money than any of the irrigation firms. The reason I went into the business was because at that time, we were getting double of what we are getting now.

The reason the prices have come down, to be honest guys just like you!! If you come in educated with the right pricing, then you will do well. If you come in like most, then we will bury you like all the others. I guess this may sound harsh, but we have to do what we can to protect what is left of what was once a great industry.

All the landscape companies that added irrigation services watered down the industry with pricing and crappy service. Recently, these large maintenance contractors are finally getting a taste of their own medicine. Because they have done such a poor job of installing but mostly servicing, the management companies are now removing the irrigation for the maintenance contracts. They are now coming direct to the companies with great reputations for doing good service. It is to a point now, to where we are turning down new RFP's at this time due to having all we can handle. These large companies are now calling to "work" with us to get the contract, so we are finally seeing some "Justice" and getting some appreciation.

I know everything about irrigation (sorry, I had to put that out there), so I now want to get into your industry and most likely screw it up more.

Can you help me get into you business please and if not....why??

I think you should then maybe you wouldn't be so bent out of shape about a few other people chasing down your irrigation nickle

Get the point?
Sorry I just see the point in trying to discourage people If you know what your doing you are the competition