Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 10-28-2014, 10:27 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Employee sick/personal time off

Curious what your policy is for this? How many days do you give? Different for year round and seasonal guys?

im starting to have a few more "sick" employees heading into winter and want to get a policy in place.

I'm a small company of 3-4 employees.

I already require notice to time off but need a clear policy to prevent abuse and grounds for termination.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-28-2014, 10:35 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Best policy is to allow them to accrue time such as 1 day per month for example. They can use this for sick time, vacation time or personal days. Encourage them to not take them by paying for the unused days at the end of the season/year.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-28-2014, 01:17 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

We require 2 weeks notice before time off unless a family emergency. Sick leave they must call in before 730 and after 2 days in a row out, we require a note from the doctor. This prevents people milking sick leave for vacation
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-31-2014, 09:27 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grassmasterswilson View Post
Curious what your policy is for this? How many days do you give? Different for year round and seasonal guys?

im starting to have a few more "sick" employees heading into winter and want to get a policy in place.

I'm a small company of 3-4 employees.

I already require notice to time off but need a clear policy to prevent abuse and grounds for termination.
Posted via Mobile Device
Salaried exempt - up to 3 weeks
Salaried non exempt - up to 2 weeks
Seasonal hourly - none

We use an PTO policy where eligible employees can accrue time for every 8 hour day worked. PTO covers sick, vacation, family emergencies etc. All requests for PTO are submitted to a division manager or myself for approval.

We will occasionally have a seasonal employee abuse calling in sick, especially after a large OT check. A manager will write someone up if it becomes to frequent and terminate employment if it continues.
Old 10-31-2014, 10:21 AM
LawnSite Member

Big thing to think of.... Is sick time paid for full time employees... Maybe so many paid... So many not paid... I find having a policy of how much vacation time for time with the company (1 week after 180days of employment for the first 3 years, 2 weeks 3-6 years, and 3 weeks 6+ years).... Sick days 4 per year paid... After that they are unpaid or eating up vacation days... Of course this is for full time employees not the standard seasonal laborer.
B.S. Horticulture (Virginia Tech)

Setup:
1995 F-450 Dump 7.3 Diesel
Horton Hauler 12' X 6' Enclosed Trailer
2006 Exmark Lazer Z 52"
2008 Exmark 48" WB
2013 Stihl String trimmer
2013 Stihl BR600 Blower
2013 Stihl Hedge trimmer
Hand tools, sprayers, and etc.
Old 10-31-2014, 12:10 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Thanks guys. I'm a small company of 3 summer employees plus myself. This winter we are running 2 plus me but not working over 40 hrs.

All my guys are hourly but considering offering my crew leader a salary but with higher responsibilities.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-01-2014, 10:41 AM
LawnSite Member

With your set up.... Unless you go to salary... I would just setup a policy of something like after 2 days in a row sick.... They need to provide doctors note to continue... Also document sicks days, you will be surprised but with certain employees it can become patterns of "Sick Days" and you need to stop that.
B.S. Horticulture (Virginia Tech)

Setup:
1995 F-450 Dump 7.3 Diesel
Horton Hauler 12' X 6' Enclosed Trailer
2006 Exmark Lazer Z 52"
2008 Exmark 48" WB
2013 Stihl String trimmer
2013 Stihl BR600 Blower
2013 Stihl Hedge trimmer
Hand tools, sprayers, and etc.
Old 11-01-2014, 09:58 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-03-2014, 08:46 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Our guys earn PTO based off of hours worked. The rate they earn them at depends on the number of years they have been with us and their position in the company. We ask for two weeks notice from the guys for vacation. If we fall behind schedule we'll black out a few weeks and not authorize any day off requests. We only allow the guys to carry 40hrs from year to year. At the end of the year we automatically buy back any unused hours over 40 at 2x the rate. If the guys want they can cash out all their hours at the end of the year. Buying it back at 2x the rate, encourages the guys to not take as many sick days or as much vacation. Since they get the check at the end of December, most of them look at it as an extra christmas bonus. Full time year round employees have the option of holding the hours and taking the vacation time over the winter, from dec 15th to mar 1st, for every 40hrs they take we deduct 20hrs. During the season, they can not take time off unless they have the PTO to cover it. The guys like the way we have it set up. If we are ahead of schedule and can spare the time around a holiday weekend, we will often give the guys a bonus and let them take an extra day off at a discounted rate. Last year we did this for Labor Day, The guys are only scheduled 4 days of work a week, mon-thurs. We were ahead of schedule on 95% of our work, come labor day so we gave the guys the option of taking thursday or monday off so that they could have a 5 day weekend. Most the guys took it.
Old 11-04-2014, 09:05 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Thanks for all ththe info. I'm learning on the fly. I've been solo most of the time but had a very reliable and dependable summertime helper for a few years.

Over the last 2 years I've let go of control and sent a mowing crew out.

I'm thinking of giving x number of days as a base .... Say 5 per year and then earn a days per month or hours worked.

I have year round and seasonal guys but we don't work 40 hours in the winter as we don't push snow.
Posted via Mobile Device