Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 03-26-2013, 06:09 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

lesco skid mechanical agitation seal, hanney hose reel locked up

I got a 300 gal dual tank lesco skid with mechanical agitation in one tank... the seal is leaking... tried greasing it but still leaking... where or how can.I repair.this or find parts to? Also my electric hose reel is locked up... I hadn't hooded it up to battery yet but right now it will not move either way.... isn't it supposed to freespool off?? I just Bought tthis and its been sitting for 3 yrs
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-26-2013, 08:23 PM
LawnSite Member

usually you can google. anything for manual somebody surely be able to help you on the leak and the rose reel try freeing up the chaing if i remember right and there is a grease fitting?? i had a mechanic use a powered grease gun and the pressure built up and it wouldnt free wheel. hope this helps
Old 03-26-2013, 09:23 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Can't find a single thing online about that seal... not even rittenhouse...took the motor off and the windings are busted... can these things be fixed? I don't wanna shell out $300 for a motor and shell out the $$ for the seal which I'm sure won't b cheap.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-26-2013, 09:41 PM
LawnSite Member

I wonder if a industrial plumbing store would be able to put you in the right direction and the motor try an alternator/starter shop I have one down the street from me I've taken plow pump motors to mower starters to alternators and he does them cheap.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-26-2013, 10:46 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Maybe the motor needs new brushes. I am not sure where to get them--though.
http://www.rittenhouseusa.com/12-vol...tor-9915-0042/

Sometimes the seal is a stuffing box seal and has a packing nut. You just tighten it slowly, a little at a time, until it stops leaking. And...potentially you can replace the packing. Here is a diagram and info. Any plumber will know how to do this.
http://www.philamixers.com/content/stuffing-box
Old 03-26-2013, 11:05 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Yes ill look into that a little closer tomorrow and c if I can repack them myself... I've done a few before at my old.job....
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-27-2013, 04:26 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Contact Hanney and explain. I'd call. Post a photo of WHICH seal is leaking--tank or pump and where. Greasing a seal is a little counter productive. Let's go from there.
Old 03-27-2013, 05:26 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

The seal on the reel isn't leaking..
Its the seal on the mechanical agitation that goes into the tank.... the reel is locked it... motor windings r busted
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-27-2013, 12:42 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I'd also agree that your local alternator/electric motor shop should be able to service the motor far cheaper than a new one. It's just a few bolts and two wires to get it off and take it in, if that's the problem. On your tank, if it's a squarish, fiberglass dual tank with sight gauges, it was likely made by Tuflex and many of the tank suppliers, including sponsors here, use them as well and probably can source you the proper parts for a first time fit on those seals.
They are a pig to work on since you have to get your head and arms inside the tank to undo the mechanical agitation and slide everything out, replace seals and then back together again.
Old 03-27-2013, 02:04 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

And be sure to put a lil WD-40 on the bearings of the reel motor--might help. I am assuming you have not taken it apart. It is a permanent magnet motor. Four big magnets aroundthe outside of the case. The magnets can come unglued from the outer case. Then jam any rotation. Remove the loose ones and reglue--can be tricky as the clearance is thin. Also the motors sometimes work adequately with one or even two magnets missing. Don't expect it to give top performance.