Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 02-05-2013, 10:02 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

This is gonna be a long one... Sorry in advance, I've got no one else to ask.

So I'm having a tough time making my decision on going back to work at the golf course March 1st. I have been working grounds crew at a golf course the past 4 years and just this past Fall decided to start my own business. My original thinking was that I would work both jobs my first year. I got laid off in November and planned for some leaf clean ups and snow removal. I bought some items to help me with that including a 600 snow blower (it never snowed). Now I've found myself with 18 customers 12 of which I'll be mowing for on a weekly basis. The others I have a bunch of random jobs lined up with for lawn renovations in the fall and other tasks this spring and summer. I'm licensed and insured and am taking all necessary steps to do this the right way and allow my business to succeed. My shift at the golf course is 6-2 then 5-1 later in the year. I feel like I have the time in the day to handle doing both, but there's a lot more that goes into running a business than just the labor. And what about the weather...it could be a factor. What if its nice all day then starts raining when ive got lawns to mow. I also feel like the optimum time to perform most lawn maintenance duties are in the morning and early afternoon. I don't really have anyone I can get good advice from on this matter so I thought I'd turn to you. I only make $8 per hour at the course but it has MANY perks. (Free golf for 4 anytime in private golf course, I have a great relationship with the mechanic so that could come in handy if I have any breakdowns, free food, and 50% off all Nike gear in the clubhouse just to name a few). I would have a steady paycheck coming in of like 600 every 2 weeks from the course which would allow me to put all money earned from business back into the business. I'm torn down the middle on what to do. I have to tell them in a week if ill be back or not. They know I've started a business and said not to come back if it will interfere but if I can handle both they'd welcome me back. If I commit to going back ill finish the year out because I don't want to burn that bridge so I gotta make my mind up fast.

I am fortunate to know the Editor of Tee Times Magazine and I have placed an ad in the mag for the whole year starting March edition so I expect growth in my business from all the advertising I've done and just from other randoms ill pick up mid year. I've lived off 8 bucks an hour for a while now and with my wife's income we get by just fine. But basically by the 2nd week of March I need to be bringing in my share again. 600 every 2 weeks isn't that much but I'd need more customers than I have now to make it work.

Do you think it's possible to have a successful business and juggle a 40 hr a week job? I am willing to take the risk, I have no doubt I have the work ethic and passion to succeed. I just don't know if I should get a year under my belt first before going all in.
Old 02-05-2013, 10:11 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I tried working a job and scheduling work in the off time but after a while i was torn like you. I jumped in with both feet and saw immediately that now it counts. It was a crazy wake up call. I put my head down and did 5x better than i thought i would. You might not be booked up for 3 months in advance but in my experience the work comes when you need it most and when you don't have the golf course to fall back and snooze on you can really focus on your own stuff.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-05-2013, 10:52 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

How long did you do both?
Old 02-05-2013, 11:03 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

About 3 months. Then i realized i could make xxx per day and deal with a moron and make him money, or i could hustle and make triple.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-05-2013, 11:16 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I think you're right. I think I have gotta go all or nothing. If I were just doing it for beer money that'd be one thing, but I really want this to work. I think it'll need 100% of my time to do so. I just did the math and I really only make about 11k at the golf course. With my average mowing customer being worth $750 I would only need like 15 customers to earn make that amount. But that doesn't account for taxes, overhead, and everything else included in cost of business. So really I'd need like 30 clients who I'd be cutting for weekly. I'm nowhere near that number. I know there will be money coming in from other services I offer but those aren't on a steady basis.
Old 02-05-2013, 11:52 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

i was going to say do both until you just cant any more but gee, the golf course doesnt pay all that well. (maybe that depends on area though). Guess it depends on how many responsibilities you have and how you can deal with a solid 9 months of non stop work.
Old 02-06-2013, 12:05 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Sounds like you want to work on your business but you also want the security. I believe you have the security already, your business will only continue to grow. If things shouldn't work out, chances are you can get the job back at the course the following year if need be if you leave now on good terms.

If you do both and rain, etc... gets you behind with your lawn customers, they will not return , they'll find someone else that can get the job done. You don't want to spread yourself to thin. Good Luck!
Old 02-06-2013, 12:05 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4 seasons lawn&land View Post
i was going to say do both until you just cant any more but gee, the golf course doesnt pay all that well. (maybe that depends on area though). Guess it depends on how many responsibilities you have and how you can deal with a solid 9 months of non stop work.
Yeah I don't make **** there. Like i said though, it has it's perks. Not to mention i have 3 buddies there all with trucks that would get off work with me and go knock out some yards. I would just feel dumb if i decided not to go back then found myself not as busy as i thought
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-06-2013, 12:09 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Those that take educated risks are those that often get ahead.
Old 02-06-2013, 12:12 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

i did two jobs for a year. an overnight job, and lawn care during the day. I had some money saved and just said to hell with it quit my regular job and jumped in. who knows what will happen next, but its been easier to pick up customers when i can focus on just that.. rather than trying to figure out when i'm gonna do the estimates, when i'm gonna do the work. sure its risky, but i was pretty much at a dead end anyway..