Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-05-2013, 11:17 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprinkler Buddy View Post
Sounds like you want to work on your business but you also want the security.
That's exactly what want! My wife is very supportive because her and I pretty much switched rolls. I was making 60k a year when I was 19-23 and she didn't work while she went to school full time. My job was night shift and when we had our child I quit the job. She finished her masters degree and now has the great job while I'm slacking. So we can get buy even if I have a terrible year but I just want to maximize the amount of money I bring in this year any way i can. If I can get by doing both I would do it in a heartbeat.
Old 02-05-2013, 11:24 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Those that take educated risks are those that often get ahead.
I've always been a risk taker!
Quote:
Originally Posted by inzane View Post
i did two jobs for a year. an overnight job, and lawn care during the day. I had some money saved and just said to hell with it quit my regular job and jumped in. who knows what will happen next, but its been easier to pick up customers when i can focus on just that.. rather than trying to figure out when i'm gonna do the estimates, when i'm gonna do the work. sure its risky, but i was pretty much at a dead end anyway..
How many customers did you have?
Old 02-05-2013, 11:28 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Above Par Lawns View Post
I'm slacking. So we can get buy even if I have a terrible year but I just want to maximize the amount of money I bring in this year any way i can. If I can get by doing both I would do it in a heartbeat.
Your not slacking, your supporting each other for even a better future for your family in the future. Your lucky to have her being the bread winner for now, it will allow you to put all your energy in building your own business. It doesn't take too many lawns to make up that $8.00 an hr. I have no doubt you'll make that up and more if you push it full time. Enjoy the family in any down time. That's what's all about.
Old 02-05-2013, 11:31 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

[QUOTE=Above Par Lawns;4667398]I've always been a risk taker!

Me too, I'm taking my biggest risk to date now. lol

Keep the Faith, it will Happen!
Old 02-05-2013, 11:32 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
That's exactly what want! My wife is very supportive because her and I pretty much switched rolls. I was making 60k a year when I was 19-23 and she didn't work while she went to school full time. My job was night shift and when we had our child I quit the job. She finished her masters degree and now has the great job while I'm slacking. So we can get buy even if I have a terrible year but I just want to maximize the amount of money I bring in this year any way i can. If I can get by doing both I would do it in a heartbeat.
Dump the golf coarse and go full time. Enjoy your family and build your business.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-05-2013, 11:40 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

That sucks about the snowblower.... We always say here in the mountains the second you buy a snowblower you will never use it til the next year.. sort of like a generater never wanna be in the situation to use it!!!

Last edited by aaronmg; 02-05-2013 at 11:45 PM.
Old 02-05-2013, 11:43 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Your not slacking, your supporting each other for even a better future for your family in the future. Your lucky to have her being the bread winner for now, it will allow you to put all your energy in building your own business. It doesn't take too many lawns to make up that $8.00 an hr. I have no doubt you'll make that up and more if you push it full time. Enjoy the family in any down time. That's what's all about.
Thanks. I am very lucky to have her.
[QUOTE=Sprinkler Buddy;4667405]
Quote:
I've always been a risk taker!

Me too, I'm taking my biggest risk to date now. lol

Keep the Faith, it will Happen!
I hope it goes well for you too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by knox gsl View Post
Dump the golf coarse and go full time. Enjoy your family and build your business.
Posted via Mobile Device
I think it's what I've got to do. I will definitely miss working at the course. There is nothing like mowing the greens first thing in the morning in the fog as the sun is coming up. But like you guys said $8 an hour isn't going to be hard to beat.
Old 02-05-2013, 11:46 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronmg View Post
That sucks about the snowblower....
No **** man! The worse part is when we were SUPPOSED to get like 4" I gassed it up the day before to get her ready and all we got was a dusting. So now it's got gas in the tank and won't be used till next winter. Hopefully!
Old 02-06-2013, 03:15 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Ditch the golf course and jump in with both feet. I have worked at 2 golf courses and loved it. The pay just sucks even as an assitant super. The supers make okay money, but def not enough for how hard they work. The Mexicans have taken over the labor side in the golf biz.

You have a major advantage that most people don't have and that is your wife's income. I also think working for a golf course is a much greater learning experience than operating a blower for some other LCO.
Old 02-06-2013, 05:34 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I'd do both for the first year and look at it again and then decide. I work at UPS @ about 15 hours a week but it's for insurance and not enough for any real money. I work from 5am- to about 8am Mon-Fri.
All Echo hand helds
<- That's how I feel at the end of the day.