Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 02-05-2013, 10:23 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

2010 f350 xlt opinions

Hey guys,

Finally going to buy the well deserved work truck for this year for mowing route and some light landscape work.

I had planned on getting an old beat up truck with 150k miles on it for cheap(5-6k) and fixed it up but have been looking and have found some nice trucks local that i would feel more comfortable getting.

The one i have my eye on is a 2010 f 350 xlt regular cab 8 foot bed. (pictures attached)

I want to know the in's and out's before i buy this. It only has the 5.4l engine, but that is fine with me because we have zero hills around me, and the most i haul is a skid or tractor at around 7k lbs and a dump trailer load of about 4 yards of top soil @8000-9000lbs.

my plan for this truck would be to get it lettered, put a nice seat cover on it, and new rubber floor matts. Put low amp corner strobes in it, and some backup lights and put either an ez-dump or a truck craft alumnium dump insert in them....

The reason i have been looking for ford, because i appreciate them not taking the government's money, and mainly because i am sick of mopar parts breaking constanly on my 06 ram. Seems like i am getting something fix or replaced once every 2-3 weeks. Im not really brand bias so if i find a nice looking truck for a good deal, im intrigued

If this truck works out well for us, i will trade my 06 ram in on a new f350 lariat for a personal/work truck, but for now i would like to keep down on payments since the 06 is paid off.

Here she is, let me know what you think. i went and looked at it today, it so for sale locally and they are asking $17,250 for it plus paperwork with 43k miles on it. I think that is a pretty good deal and i will only be putting 3-4k miles on it per year with our lawn route and snow removal

4x4 xlt package, snow plow prep package and they can add boss superduty 8foot plow to it for an extra 3800 dollars. Let me know what you think
Attached Images

Insured and Licensed
Old 02-05-2013, 10:25 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

here are some more pictures
Attached Images

Insured and Licensed
Old 02-05-2013, 11:09 PM
LawnSite Member

2010 f350 xlt opinions

That's a good price for it in my opinion. However, I'm not a fan of the 5.4 L engine. We have an '08 F-350 Dump with the 5.4 and it has no power. We do have a lot of hill here though. We run all Fords and are looking for another one now. I'm not buying anything that's gonna pull a trailer except the 6.4 L diesel. If it can do what you need it to do, I'd say go for it. We never had any problems with the 5.4 engine besides the lack of power. Will make a nice plow truck for you. Good luck!
Old 02-05-2013, 11:27 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

looks good, well equipped and clean-- ive bought alot of stuff over the years truck or equip that a year later didnt fit my needs anymore, now a days really think out larger purchases and future needs, i can only suggest the same--
also i fully understand the dodge, i had an 06 dodge too, worst truck ive ever owned, i bought it new and owned it for about 17 months total, it sat at the dealer for over 6 months of that time, towards the very end they went into bankruptcy and denied the lemon and refused to work on it any more do to no parts availibilty--chrysler and that truck still piss me off to think about it,, oh well good luck
Old 02-06-2013, 01:16 PM
LawnSite Member

The truck looks good and is a great price. The 5.4 will serve you well with the weight your gonna be towing with it. I have a 2001 5.4 with 243k and still kicking strong. Tows our loaded 8.5x18 enclosed with no sweat. Loaded dump trailer is another story. If you wont be towing the skid and dump on the highway then you will be just fine. I also have a 2010 just like the one above equipped the same, except mine is a super-cab and has the 6.4. The truck has been great , plows and tows great. Ford makes a great product you'll love it compared to the dodge.
Old 02-06-2013, 01:28 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

That's a great price. I know a guy who has that exact same truck. Color and everything. He has a 9 foot blizzard on it. It has plenty of power. I have a 250 with the v10. It has a lot of power. But for hauling around my 20 ft landscape trailer and a dump trailer a dozen times each summer. I would have settled with the v8. One thing. That truck probably had a plow on it before it was sold or traded. It doesn't have the front air dam and it has the velcro patch on the dash for the controller to sit. I don't know if that matters to you. But its something to think about.
Old 02-06-2013, 01:34 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

That is a killer deal don't tell me where the truck is.
Good luck on your 2013 season
Old 02-06-2013, 05:29 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

well, the truck might be plowed with and i know that it is clean but that is a good point if i am going to try to talk the price down a bit. I really would prefer to have a virgin plow truck, i know what plowing does to trucks, but the price is already pretty good.

I wish it was april though, im sick of not making much money plowing, and i need some capital to invest in this truck so i can put a hefty down payment on it.

WIth a heavy load, will it really strain a lot? I know my ram 1500 pulls heavy loads fine.

Insured and Licensed
Old 02-06-2013, 07:38 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Do you know how many hours are on the truck? You can check the hours simply by cycling through the trip 1, trip 2 and odometer. I've been looking for a new truck for about a year and before I bought mine last month, I found a 2007 f250 xtd lariat, only had 37k miles on it but had almost 4,000 hours (way too many hours per mile) on the engine when I test drove it. iwould def check it's hours.

Many times dealers don't look at it or even realize the trucks have the ability to track the hours.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-06-2013, 10:13 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deererunner View Post
Do you know how many hours are on the truck? You can check the hours simply by cycling through the trip 1, trip 2 and odometer. I've been looking for a new truck for about a year and before I bought mine last month, I found a 2007 f250 xtd lariat, only had 37k miles on it but had almost 4,000 hours (way too many hours per mile) on the engine when I test drove it. iwould def check it's hours.

Many times dealers don't look at it or even realize the trucks have the ability to track the hours.
Posted via Mobile Device
Not sure if you are aware of this but the hours continue to run even if the engine isn't running with just the ignition is on.