Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 02-11-2013, 04:16 PM
LawnSite Member

lighting up second story

I was wondering how you guys light up second story pitches on houses. Inparticular i was wondering how you hide and route the wire to the second story. I have attached a picture, the second stroy peak is what i want to light up.

Thanks
Attached Images

Old 02-11-2013, 04:22 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

When that house is finished it should have gutters and downspouts... Im not saying it's right, im just saying.
Old 02-11-2013, 04:42 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLight View Post
When that house is finished it should have gutters and downspouts... Im not saying it's right, im just saying.
Thats the only way that i could see it being done. I didnt know if there was another way. Thanks
Old 02-11-2013, 04:54 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

In practice, you can conduit up the side of the downspout to stay hidden and then stay under the eaves all the way to where you need to go, then pierce the wire up and through without actually ever resting in the gutter....but, it's your decision, im sure there will be a lot of opinions on this.
Old 02-11-2013, 07:13 PM
LawnSite Member

I have 'heard' of doing that way involving the gutters... but since the house looks to be unfinished inside, you might consider downlights from the three peaks... THis would be the most functional on the entry peak as it would also downlight the steps. You could supplement this with uplights on the entry columns/converging on the peak as well as the left peak from the landscape bed, which would also uplight/facade wash the brick.

So now, you have up and down on the main left and right peaks and only down on the smaller, upper peak.. but that's much better than the upper peak being left in the dark.
Old 02-11-2013, 10:11 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I think your over thinking this a bit. I would suggest the homeowner plant a small open branched tree in the bed to the left of the door. Place your directional spot out in front and shine up through the branches aiming at the upper peak. You will get a nice dappled light and shadow play on that portion. the rest is pretty straight forward. It looks like they are out in the middle of nowhere, so there is no one to show off for. Less is more in this case. Keep it subtle.

Tim Ryan
Lite4 Outdoor Lighting
www.lite-4.com