Register free!

Old 02-06-2013, 10:52 AM
LawnSite Member

Recently Licensed...Need some advice.

I have just recently got my commercial license for Mississippi, and I am in the process of putting my program together. Any advice or recommendations y'all could give me when putting together a program. Recommended products, etc. Products to stay away from. I really appreciate any advice/information you seasoned veterans could provide this young inexperienced applicator. Thank you in advance for your time.
Old 02-06-2013, 07:51 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Basically you need to KNOW your turf and what services can you knowledgeably do. Scout the prospective area and see what grasses you need to know about. When done, consider how to tend a healthy lawn and how to keep it healthy, a sick or declining lawn and how to recover it, know which fertilize each turf need. Centipede, St. Augustine, Bermuda all have certain and different requirement as to what, when, and how much to apply. What about weeds? Do you know them and what needs to be done to control or eliminate them? Quite a lot of homework, visits to product supply stores and people to help you. A good lawn person knows a lot of people who have similar problems and similar prescriptions.
You need to work on a small scale in order to "GET YOUR HOUSE IN ORDER" and keep records of time, applications and results. Pros do this as a requirement in record keeping. When you find a good article, print it out for future reference especially in dealing with a fungus.
Visit your John Deere Landscape place. They used to have a basic program for a lot of different grasses. Go by those and see if lawns are responding. Take a soil test for recommendation but let me warn you, a lot of them are just dead wrong. There are several great minds here that are willing to AID but not hand hold you for every stem. No cruelty meant. The learning curve will spike the first year. If you have a really beautiful lawn that exemplifies your work, put a sign in it to the effect that "THIS LAWN MAINTAINED BY......."
Finally, give 150%. Do a few free low cost things like pruning a shrub on your days off and make sure that the client know that you done this "ESPECIALLY FOR THEM" That kindness will not go unrewarded. AND LOVE YOUR WORK.
Old 02-06-2013, 08:27 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

What grasses are you mainly dealing with? I know warm season but be more specific.
Old 02-07-2013, 11:41 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

In Mississippi don't you have to charge taxes for weed control if you use it, but don't have too if you just fertilize?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-09-2013, 07:55 PM
LawnSite Member

Thank you all for the response thus far. I have visited my local JDL, for a help with the starter program as suggested. I will start with it, and tweak it accordingly.

As far as the grasses we deal with here, we mainly deal with St. Augisitine, Bermuda, Zoysia, and Centipede. What products do y'all recommend? Can I expect good quality results from the product JDL suggest i.e. Pre-M 0-0-8 etc.

As taxes go, I charge tax on all the services we perform, so to be honest I am not sure of a right answer on that one.

Thank y'all again, and other tips or suggestion would be greatly appreciated!
Old 02-09-2013, 08:04 PM
LawnSite Member

Also, Do y'all recommend a liquid or granular program? Or a combination of both?
What seems to have work best for you?
Old 02-09-2013, 10:00 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by troland View Post
Also, Do y'all recommend a liquid or granular program? Or a combination of both?
What seems to have work best for you?
I use liquid for weed control & granular for fert.
Some of the weed control products I use would be Simazine, metsulfuron, Certainty, Dismiss, Celsius & others.

St Aug & centipede are similar in the use of herbicides as are Bermuda & zoysia. Although differences exist withen these 2 groups.