Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 02-06-2013, 07:28 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

If he's responsible and depending on the guy I would let him. My #1 employee carries when we plow. All hours of the night, pretty predictable schedule, often shoveling along the back of poorly lit buildings...it's a no brainer for me. If I had guys working for me that I was skeptical about, we'll that's a different story. I've had guys that could use a good ass kicking in a back alley.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-06-2013, 08:38 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

If you are uncomfortable with it then make a policy no weapons at work, it's that simple. It's a huge liability for you as stated earlier.
Old 02-06-2013, 09:55 PM
LawnSite Member

Personally, I carry, but not on site. Its too much of a legal liability to allow it. The chances of him ever needing it are pretty slim, but the chances of a client seeing it and hurting your reputation are greater. Is it really worth it to lose a client just to allow him to carry if insurance will cover your loses anyway?? Your risking too much for something that can easily just be left in his personal vehicle.
Old 02-06-2013, 10:23 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Your company,your policy! I carry all the time ( for the most part). The only time I don't carry is while I'm on school property or state licensed day cares at which time, it is lock up in the truck on the street. I have had a couple of employees that have carried while on the job. For those that do, I spend time with them at the range to watch how they handle and shoot their gun. If I allow them to carry, they understand, that it is only used for personal protection and to never engage someone wanting to steal equipment, unless threatened with bodily injury.
Old 02-06-2013, 11:28 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Let him. I carry daily basically every where I go. As someone else said I would rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6.
Old 02-07-2013, 12:30 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

The guy makes me nervous in the first place... I mean hes a good worker and shows up every day bt some of the things he says and some of his actions makes me fear the day i have to let him go.... Im leaning towards telling him he cant carry at work. Thanks for all the input
2013 7x20 sur-track open trailer
2010 exmark lazer "x" series 60" 34hp
2011 exmark lazer "x" series 60" 29hp
2013 exmark lazer "s" series 60" 27hp
2013 exmark turf tracer "s" series 52" 20hp
2011 wright stander RH 52" 19hp
1013 exmark commerical 30" wb
honda push mower
(4) weed wips shindiawa,redmax,echo
(2) stick edgers shindiawa,redmax
(3)redmax 7001
sthil br 340
pluger aerator

230 lawns
Old 02-07-2013, 12:59 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mowerboy04 View Post
The guy makes me nervous in the first place... I mean hes a good worker and shows up every day bt some of the things he says and some of his actions makes me fear the day i have to let him go.... Im leaning towards telling him he cant carry at work. Thanks for all the input
If that's the case i don't blame you.
Old 02-07-2013, 07:37 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pietro View Post
Sounds like a bad idea to me. Think about this. Someone trys to steal your truck. He doesnt have a gun. Guy gets the truck, he calls you and you call the cops/insurance, insurance pays you for the loss. Now, someone trys to steal the truck, YOUR worker shoots him. Have fun in court!

More bad than good can happen. Give the dude a weedwacker!

Lol, over here a few months ago someone severely wounded a guy with a weedwacker. I don't know how it exactly happened but the guy was waiting at a crossroad, the landscaper stands behind him also waiting and i think something snapped in his head, because all of a sudden he gets out of the truck, pulls the other guy out of his car and starts to argue/fight. All of a sudden, he goes back to his truck and starts his weedwacker, goes back and cuts the other guy's leg off. Needless to say, cops caught him and now his for a long time in jail. Also the guy appeared to be a severe drug addict. What a shame for our industry :S
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-07-2013, 08:13 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belgium View Post
Lol, over here a few months ago someone severely wounded a guy with a weedwacker. I don't know how it exactly happened but the guy was waiting at a crossroad, the landscaper stands behind him also waiting and i think something snapped in his head, because all of a sudden he gets out of the truck, pulls the other guy out of his car and starts to argue/fight. All of a sudden, he goes back to his truck and starts his weedwacker, goes back and cuts the other guy's leg off. Needless to say, cops caught him and now his for a long time in jail. Also the guy appeared to be a severe drug addict. What a shame for our industry :S
Posted via Mobile Device
That's one powerful machine!!! Cut his leg off???
Old 02-07-2013, 09:03 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wegomow View Post
That's one powerful machine!!! Cut his leg off???
It had a triangular brushcutter blade on it and it appears that the leg was not completely off but it couldn't be reattached so doctors had to amputate.
Posted via Mobile Device