Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 02-06-2013, 04:02 PM
LawnSite Member

rocks

I have a client that I have to rebuild their pond due to a drunk driver , yup its first for me lol. The car went right through the back of the house and into their pond. Guess it was a good thing the pond was there or it would've went through another house in their backyard. I got replace everything but my question are about the existing rocks due tor the fact fish will be replaced as well. Do I need to replace them as well due to fact that radiator fluid, oil, tranny fluid, brake fluid etc was leaking and present in the pond. Due to porous nature of stone I know there is residue left. Can I power washer them with a bleach solution or degresser solvent? Or will a soapy solution work fine? Or is it not enough that's worth worrying bout as long as I do so stone washing and add charcoal /carbon to help neutralize the contaminents . Again I've never had a car in the pond so this is a first for me.

Greg Raglin
Old 02-06-2013, 04:24 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I've seen cars in lakes and swimming pools, but a pond is a first for me also.

If I remember correctly, rock is readily available and inexpensive in your area, so I would replace the rock. If this creates a budgetary problem then, depending on the degree of contamination, the existing rock could be cleaned using a power washer and de-greaser. Some hydrocarbons may remain, but probably not at a level that would cause a problem as it would be picked up by the skimmer and filter pads. These in turn could be cleaned with Dawn. (Yep, the stuff actually works.) Without seeing the level of contamination I can't really advise you either way. It will be an educated judgement call for you.
Old 02-06-2013, 04:30 PM
LawnSite Member

Yea I figured as much and yup dawn does work lol..
Old 03-08-2013, 08:37 PM
LawnSite Member

Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-08-2013, 08:42 PM
LawnSite Member

I would clean them at least with a rag and menthol alcohol oil kills everything .also u will get
a film on the water and rocks plus a real bad rep cause this is a insurance job.so do it rite
Posted via Mobile Device