Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 02-07-2013, 05:15 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMLC View Post
Looks really good! I like the different efi modes!
Posted via Mobile Device
So do I, and I wish everything was EFI now. Too bad Kohler keeps labeling their engine hp uinder the old system though (which is crap because they have the new specs for most of their engines listed at the bottom of each section for specs on their site). It makes comparing them to others a lot more difficult to do accurately without alot of extra checking.

All the engines in the new Exmarks with the Kohler label are overrated by 3-4 HP still.
Old 02-07-2013, 05:17 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridin' Green View Post

TLS
-

Are you thinking of going to Exmark this year? I know you've had on and off issues with your SZ, and IIRC, last season you started talking about maybe getting something new.
I really don't know yet. I will be heading into my 7th season with the SuperZ. Other than my 1968 Cub Cadet, it's the longest I've ever kept a rider.

Things have changed for me at my other job, and requires a considerable decrease in the amount of lawn work I am able to perform. As it stands now, I'll be working my other job till lunchtime, maybe 1PM (38hrs/wk). I'll have from then till dark to do my lawns and I'll have Wednesdays totally off.

So I won't be putting the hours on anything like I have in the past (when I worked my other job just 12-16hrs/wk)

I really liked my old LC'd Lazer, and when I demoed this newer model (Next Lazer) a few years ago, I liked everything about it except the noisy 29hp Kawi.

If I went with this new eXmark RED EFI:

I'd be giving up the SuperZ speed.
I'd be getting a superior QOC.
I'd be dropping fuel capacity by 2 gallons.
I'd be picking up a TON more horsepower and torque. (and likely still get similar fuel economy)
I'd be loosing the SuperZ parking brake system.
I'd be riding a much lighter mower.
I'd be riding a much more hill friendly mower.

There is a lot I like about MY SuperZ, and a few things I don't like about the newer SuperZ.

Hustler NEEDS to offer a Kohler EFI big block on their SuperZ, fix the discharge issue that I and Mickhippy noticed, enlarge the fuel capacity, and overall make it a lighter, more compact ZTR.

Overall, I'll have to see what the financing is like. Would like to see 0% for 48mo on anything I buy. I'll have to see financially how I come out of plowing season, and how this other job works out with my mowing schedule.
2006 Hustler SuperZ 28EFI 60" Power Chute Design OCDC SOLD!
Perma-green Magnum
1996 48" SCAG Belt WB 14hp Kawasaki Classic Deck
Echo 2 strokes PB-755 & SRM 280
Eastman WM20H 20" Commercial Push mower (NEW for 2013)
Commercial Lawnboy trim mower 3-FOR SALE!http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=424203
Solo since 1980
Old 02-07-2013, 05:21 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Ridin,

It wont be long before everything is efi to keep up with the epa. I just wish all the engine companies used the same rating system so we can compare like you said. Honestly the whole over rated hp thing never bothered me. I remember when 13 hp was the cats azz and we never thought it was underpowered!!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-07-2013, 05:25 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
I wont be long before everything is efi to keep up with the epa. I just wish all the engine companies used the same rating system so we can compare like you said. Honestly the whole over rated hp thing never bothered me. I remember when 13 hp was the cats azz and we never thought it was underpowered!!
Posted via Mobile Device

I am old enough to remember when a 12 hp was the biggest engine found in a GT. But, at least they were true HP back then.

I don't really care either, except for times when I am shopping and comparing. It is nice when everyone is on the same page so that you can compare apples to apples (or whatever fruit you like).
Old 02-07-2013, 05:26 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Ridin,

It wont be long before everything is efi to keep up with the epa. I just wish all the engine companies used the same rating system so we can compare like you said. Honestly the whole over rated hp thing never bothered me. I remember when 13 hp was the cats azz and we never thought it was underpowered!!
Posted via Mobile Device
Dang, my first rider ever was a 28in cut 8 hp snapper.. I would of thought i was in heaven with the 13hp option...
Old 02-07-2013, 05:28 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I'm not concerned with the power ratings. They are what they are!

I know going from a 725cc EFI with 21cc pumps to a 999cc EFI with 16cc pumps will be MORE than enough. I figure it's a 10hp/10lb/ft bump no matter how I figure it.
2006 Hustler SuperZ 28EFI 60" Power Chute Design OCDC SOLD!
Perma-green Magnum
1996 48" SCAG Belt WB 14hp Kawasaki Classic Deck
Echo 2 strokes PB-755 & SRM 280
Eastman WM20H 20" Commercial Push mower (NEW for 2013)
Commercial Lawnboy trim mower 3-FOR SALE!http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=424203
Solo since 1980
Old 02-07-2013, 05:29 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by weaver View Post
Dang, my first rider ever was a 28in cut 8 hp snapper.. I would of thought i was in heaven with the 13hp option...
Back when I was a kid, they used those 12 HP Kohler cast iron torquer's to run 48" decks, and that was considered plenty of power for them.
Old 02-07-2013, 05:30 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Does anyone think the "low" mode will help the exmark cut in wet conditions?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-07-2013, 05:31 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLS View Post
I'm not concerned with the power ratings. They are what they are!

I know going from a 725cc EFI with 21cc pumps to a 999cc EFI with 16cc pumps will be MORE than enough. I figure it's a 10hp/10lb/ft bump no matter how I figure it.
Definitely.

That RED system is pretty cool. I would most likely use the lowest setting for most of my cutting, especially after the spring rush. Plenty o' power on tap when needed at the flick of a switch? Pretty darn cool.
Old 02-07-2013, 05:32 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Does anyone think the "low" mode will help the exmark cut in wet conditions?
Posted via Mobile Device
No comment...