Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 02-14-2013, 02:51 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

FC95 Edger will not stay running

I have had a Stihl FC95 edger now for five years and whenever I start having problems keeping it running, I've been able to change the carb and everyhting is fixed. Well today I replaced the spark plug and air filter, and it barely wanted to start. So I pulled out the spare carb I keep (it's that much of a problem) and replaced it. Started up and wouldn't stay running without keeping it throttled all the way up. I replaced the fuel filter and all the fuel lines are in good shape. Is there something I am over looking? Or is it time to invest in another one? Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Jim
Old 02-14-2013, 03:13 PM
LawnSite Member

It is probably an air leak in the fuel lines somewhere. It is a Stihl so of course you do not have to replace itl. Make sure you replace the starter bulb as it may have a leak. Or the black gasket under the bulb. (that is the problem most of the time). Have you checked the timing of the valves. I think your edger is a 4 stroke hybrid. Valve timing can cause hard starting. Even if you take it to a shop it will be well worth your money.
Old 02-14-2013, 03:24 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by biodale View Post
It is probably an air leak in the fuel lines somewhere. It is a Stihl so of course you do not have to replace itl. Make sure you replace the starter bulb as it may have a leak. Or the black gasket under the bulb. (that is the problem most of the time). Have you checked the timing of the valves. I think your edger is a 4 stroke hybrid. Valve timing can cause hard starting. Even if you take it to a shop it will be well worth your money.
Thanks for the advice and yes it is a 4Mix (as Stihl calls it). The bulb and gasket are brand new on the carb (they come pre-assembled), but I'll check to make sure they are seated. If its not that, I'll run it by my dealer.