Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-11-2013, 11:56 PM
LawnSite Member

obviously i'm not making myself clear enough or something but I do not cut corners. At the end of the day, either way you look at it I end up with a loose 5-6 inch layer of nutrient full, loose topsoil before the sod is installed. I have better things to do then sit on this forum and have a useless argument. have a good day
Old 02-12-2013, 12:10 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Question?? What is the minimum number of acres that a turf farm could work off of. I guess it would depend on what equipment you had to deal with?
Old 02-12-2013, 12:10 AM
LawnSite Member

haha, you know if you went about it different way you would of gotten better results. Even the biggest install in PA doesn't know it all. (sorry I am going to take shots because you opened yourself up to it with all the gloating comments). You have are right but I said many times. You can get decent results but its not the best way to do it. Diffinition of cutting corners: taking a easier way of doing something instead of best way.

Anyways since I got you all upset, I will leave you alone. Good luck with those better things.
B.S. Horticulture (Virginia Tech)

Setup:
1995 F-450 Dump 7.3 Diesel
Horton Hauler 12' X 6' Enclosed Trailer
2006 Exmark Lazer Z 52"
2008 Exmark 48" WB
2013 Stihl String trimmer
2013 Stihl BR600 Blower
2013 Stihl Hedge trimmer
Hand tools, sprayers, and etc.
Old 02-12-2013, 12:16 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasScape View Post
haha, you know if you went about it different way you would of gotten better results. Even the biggest install in PA doesn't know it all. (sorry I am going to take shots because you opened yourself up to it with all the gloating comments). You have are right but I said many times. You can get decent results but its not the best way to do it. Diffinition of cutting corners: taking a easier way of doing something instead of best way.

Anyways since I got you all upset, I will leave you alone. Good luck with those better things.
nobody's upset here my friend. I know what I know and have been doing one thing my entire life. Good luck in the upcoming season.
Old 02-12-2013, 12:20 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronmg View Post
Question?? What is the minimum number of acres that a turf farm could work off of. I guess it would depend on what equipment you had to deal with?
Hello, are you referring to growing and selling sod? It really just depends on the demand and how many square feet you sell a year. Having a field in seedlings growing for the following year the same time you have full mature sod field waiting to be cut is always ideal.
Old 02-12-2013, 12:34 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Yeah this is not my specialty at all... but being blessed with land and lots of fields I was just wondering about being a lawn care co. And incorporating it into my business as opposed to buying sod off the other guys....
Old 02-12-2013, 12:38 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronmg View Post
Yeah this is not my specialty at all... but being blessed with land and lots of fields I was just wondering about being a lawn care co. And incorporating it into my business as opposed to buying sod off the other guys....
Yeah thats great. Where are you located? Having good topsoil is very important too. Its definitely a full time thing, even starting out with 50 acres mowing that once or sometimes twice a week is time time time. the main question is do you have all the equipment- sod harvester, forklift to load, tractors to fertilize and to do your soil prep in the first place, etc....
Old 02-12-2013, 12:41 AM
LawnSite Member

Being able to invest lots of money is obviously very important as well- knowing from the day you plant you have a minimum of at least 12 months sometimes longer until its mature enough to harvest
Old 02-12-2013, 12:50 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I don't have any of that equipment!! And I'm not pursuing a big time operation of sod farming or small time. Just gathering information in my head,as small as it is....
Old 02-12-2013, 12:52 AM
LawnSite Member

Rite, it can get a little difficult but is a great industry. but good luck to you if you have any questions feel free to ask