Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 02-08-2013, 06:51 AM
LawnSite Member

Question v ride down south?

hello guys, i'm down south near new orleans and we cut primarily st. aug, been using wallker mowers for years, but have picked up a few new accounts that require something else. i'm looking at a v ride to try and save some time, was wondering if anyone has experience cutting st. aug with a v ride and could give me some info on cut quality etc., will i be able to get away with cutting once, trying to avoid double cuts and i do have alot of customers i've been cutting for years with my walkers, i'm sure they won't mind me mulching as long as it's clean. looking at a 48" any help or opinions much appreciated. thanks
Old 02-08-2013, 10:18 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

We have the 48" and use it on the same grasses you have and like it a lot. We have the full mulch kit on it. Put almost 500 hrs on the first year and the crew chief like is a lot. He used Wright Stander before the scag. We did have couple little problems the hydro pumps both had to be replaced and still having some leakage at connectors but that isnt' Scag fault.
Old 02-08-2013, 11:03 PM
LawnSite Member

thanks for the reply ed, what year is your machine? i've got a 36" scag wb that has advantage deck that i use on some yards-leaves some trails and have to be double cut alot, hoping the v ride with vp deck will be better. also run a walker, but i need somethin lil faster for my bigger stuff that doesn't require bagging.
Old 02-09-2013, 10:29 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by haynes504 View Post
thanks for the reply ed, what year is your machine? i've got a 36" scag wb that has advantage deck that i use on some yards-leaves some trails and have to be double cut alot, hoping the v ride with vp deck will be better. also run a walker, but i need somethin lil faster for my bigger stuff that doesn't require bagging.
Bought the unit 3/2012 so I guess it is a 2012. We also have several scag WB and riders and use mulch kits with outlets blocked. Don't see much need for double cutting. We always mow in clock wise pattern starting on the outhside so anything dropping out of deck is on the right side and picked up on the next pass. May be wrong but I think if you get the full mulch kit you would moth ball the Walker. We got a Walker and Scag Cougar stored.
Old 02-09-2013, 10:52 PM
LawnSite Member

I don't cut st aug primarily but we have a lot of Bermuda and zoysia lawns mixed with a few st Augustine and we have the 36 with advantage and we never have to double cut cut unless we have to remove more than 3 inches. I live it so much I'm supposed to be liking up a 52 inch in the next few days.
Posted via Mobile Device