Register free!

Old 02-08-2013, 06:46 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

My head is going to explode, and not just because I have the flu.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-08-2013, 06:49 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by irritation View Post
It's been my experience that a flow control valve throttled 1/2 turn has little effect other than shutting off faster.
Sorry about that, i should have been more thorough.

I was also taught not to run the valves wide open. The throw is adjusted by throttling the valve, the diffuser, the supply or any combination of the above.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-08-2013, 06:55 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1idejim View Post
Sorry about that, i should have been more thorough.

I was also taught not to run the valves wide open. The throw is adjusted by throttling the valve, the diffuser, the supply or any combination of the above.
Posted via Mobile Device
I was taught to never use the flow control or diffuser screw because PSI and/or temp will have a huge impact on how it reacts at a given time.
Old 02-08-2013, 07:02 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by irritation View Post
It's been my experience that a flow control valve throttled 1/2 turn has little effect other than shutting off faster.
That's all too true, using a flow control as a prv is stupid. The only reason to use the flow control is to prevent the valve from not shutting down. I adjusted my valves by turning the the handle down until the sprinklers began to lose radius, then open the flow handle 1 1/2 turns.
Old 02-08-2013, 07:06 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

It's a good thing we have LS to help learn us all more better with
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-08-2013, 07:18 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Yes, to help learn us all more better with
Old 02-08-2013, 09:40 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1idejim View Post

Now let me get this straight, you have no problems with licensing except for the cost of obtaining the license and the time and costs of continuing education. You also have issue with overzealous inspectors and competing on an uneven playing field while having the customer's best interest at heart.

Now explain to me how head to head coverage (which we won't discuss but you brought up) and an inspector's mood actually affect your bottom line if you are doing your job properly?
Posted via Mobile Device
I don't have a problem with licensing or a reasonable fee. My problem with continuing education is... why? Anything you need know about any new regulations or innovations your friends at the irrigation shop will let you know or you can ask. It's not brain surgery. (no offense) Yes an over zealous inspector can be un predictable... For example your working in a municipality that states if the distance between the sidewalk and the curb is less than 4 ft you have to water it from across the side walk, anything more than 4 ft you have to punch under the sidewalk and water from between the sidewalk and curb. Your on a job where one end of the sidewalk 3'11' and the far end 4'1''
What do you do... put half the heads between and the other half outside and create an ugly inconsistency with you lay out for no functional reason undoubtedly creating unnecessary hassles with the rest of the layout and likely more labor. Or do you do the reasonable thing and do it one way or the other hoping the inspector (who may very well be some city managers half wit brother-in-law that just lost his job at Lowe's) isn't on his high horse. Damned if you do damned if you don't.
I always keep the costumers interest at heart and often times that is the cost, not everyone wants or needs a Cadillac irrigation system. If the municipality dictates a Cadillac the client wants a prious ethically your bound cast that revenue aside to the bottom feeders. You should know as well as I do there are different ways to irrigate a property sufficiently with cost being the main variable. What I mean by 100% overlapping coverage is head to head coverage, one head overlapping the impact of the adjacent head 100%.
75 or 80 percent I think is ideal. Just don't stretch your water volume to the limit with the amount of heads you use to help compensate for volume decline and you can always put in smaller apertures down the road. An over zealous inspector can nit pic on a lot of things that make no difference like imetioned earlier. More gigs, more changes to make, more re inspections, more time, more money, less profits!
Old 02-09-2013, 10:55 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcg View Post
One example of looks good on paper but bad idea in practice is the strip between houses on a property line. On paper, 2 rows of heads should be used on these to give head to head coverage but if you do that, the area will be a swamp, even if shorten run times, because of the neighbor also watering and the grade there for drainage. The real world best thing to do is to only put a single row of heads along the house and nothing on the property line, even though it's technically wrong.
And what if the neighbor stops irrigating? Never depend on the neighbor to complete the coverage.
Old 02-09-2013, 11:01 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by holmesgts View Post
I don't have a problem with licensing or a reasonable fee. My problem with continuing education is... why? Anything you need know about any new regulations or innovations your friends at the irrigation shop will let you know or you can ask. It's not brain surgery. (no offense) Yes an over zealous inspector can be un predictable... For example your working in a municipality that states if the distance between the sidewalk and the curb is less than 4 ft you have to water it from across the side walk, anything more than 4 ft you have to punch under the sidewalk and water from between the sidewalk and curb. Your on a job where one end of the sidewalk 3'11' and the far end 4'1''
What do you do... put half the heads between and the other half outside and create an ugly inconsistency with you lay out for no functional reason undoubtedly creating unnecessary hassles with the rest of the layout and likely more labor. Or do you do the reasonable thing and do it one way or the other hoping the inspector (who may very well be some city managers half wit brother-in-law that just lost his job at Lowe's) isn't on his high horse. Damned if you do damned if you don't.
I always keep the costumers interest at heart and often times that is the cost, not everyone wants or needs a Cadillac irrigation system. If the municipality dictates a Cadillac the client wants a prious ethically your bound cast that revenue aside to the bottom feeders. You should know as well as I do there are different ways to irrigate a property sufficiently with cost being the main variable. What I mean by 100% overlapping coverage is head to head coverage, one head overlapping the impact of the adjacent head 100%.
75 or 80 percent I think is ideal. Just don't stretch your water volume to the limit with the amount of heads you use to help compensate for volume decline and you can always put in smaller apertures down the road. An over zealous inspector can nit pic on a lot of things that make no difference like imetioned earlier. More gigs, more changes to make, more re inspections, more time, more money, less profits!
Forget about inspectors
Old 02-09-2013, 11:08 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiril View Post
And what if the neighbor stops irrigating? Never depend on the neighbor to complete the coverage.
Even if the neighbors don't water, the grading and lack of sunlight keeps those areas wet. Putting the 2nd row in always creates a swamp, whether the neighbor waters or not. Often when both houses have irrigation, we end up shutting that zone off to keep it from being over watered.