Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 02-14-2013, 11:18 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I found locks that use the 4 digits the best. not the ones that require you to turn the dial. but we went to the type that require 4 digits. we just turn the first digit 1 click to lock it. no theif would hang around long enought to figure it out. a key is nice but keys are lost, left at home, and the list goes on.

let me explain about my above comment. Yes money in the pocket is always better.

But - how much are you going to send to lock up your $200 line trimmer? chain, locks, trimmer traps. it all costs money. then add the time spent locking and un locking - how much does that add to it? my guess over the course of 2-3 years it could get pricy just to secure a $200 line trimmer. I understand that back back blowers cost more, but the pinciple remains the same. realistly 2 cycle equipment is a drop in the bucket to replace. I dont like doing it, but it really isnt that much. I burn more fuel in a week than the cost of a line trimmer.

now consider this. $200 new, runs great year 1. with new carbs and gas being crap, by year 2 needs new carb ($50.00) also needs a new head ($30) and then needs a pull starter ($30.00) how much money do you have to put into it just to get it running good for year 3? my guess is with mechanics labor, parts and down time an average of $100 on a $200 machine.

Whats this mean. Either way by year 3 im going to have to spend $100 on parts..... or I can just go buy a new one for an extra $100 in cost.

Well Im pretty sure that I would be able to tax deduct the stollen equipment??? (id have to ask my accountant) and I know that I would be deducting the new equipment. I was going to spend $100 on parts. Suddenly take all this into account, and im not fare off to buying a new unit.

the big bonus is new peice of equipment with less break downs.

the bad side is that formaula only works with small equipment where average maintenace cost is $25-50% of the new unit price.
Old 02-19-2013, 09:11 AM
LawnSite Member

Thanks everyone for your feedback. I think the best advice would be to lock it up with combo locks (which we already do) and engrave/paint. I understand that one stolen piece of 2 cycle equipment doesn't kill us, but I have never had just one disappear by itself. If I have equipment stolen, it's always multiple pieces. Generally, as many as one or two guys can grab and run with, which definitely sets us back.

The crews are responsible for the lost equipment, but when half of the time they are struggling to keep their lights on in their house, it's hard to take the full cost out of their checks.
JD 700's, GS30's, 1600 Turbo WAM, Gators
Kub z300's, RTV 900
Scag Fleet of Turf Tiger's, V-Ride's
Shind. T270 trimmers, T260 edgers, EB802 blowers
Sthil BR600 blowers
Bobcat T190, T300, MT55's
Ditch Witch SK650
Billy Goat Debris Loader

Tags
stolen , theft