Register free!


Reply
 
Thread Tools   Display Modes
  #1  
Old 12-10-2014, 10:25 PM
agrostis agrostis is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Winston-Salem NC
Posts: 1,740
Vermont Firewood Price

A cord is worth about $25 around here. Meanwhile, in Vermont ...

http://www.wsj.com/articles/an-old-s...WORDS=firewood
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 12-11-2014, 04:06 AM
crusty_crab80 crusty_crab80 is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Alaska
Posts: 125
$25 I hope you are kidding

$200-250 around here all day long seasoned and split. Delivered 50 miles to "the big city" $300 to $350
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 12-11-2014, 08:03 AM
gcbailey's Avatar
gcbailey gcbailey is offline
LawnSite Silver Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: southern WV
Posts: 2,104
$25 cord? Crap..... We're selling split red/white oak and hickory for $200.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 12-11-2014, 08:51 AM
agrostis agrostis is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Winston-Salem NC
Posts: 1,740
That's no joke. It doesn't get cold enough here for those kind of price's. Firewood is a regional thing. My neighbor, who's 81, was telling me about his grandfather splitting (by hand) and stacking a cord for 10 cent's and a meal. Granted, that was 75 year's ago, but THAT is cheap.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 12-11-2014, 11:04 AM
caseysmowing caseysmowing is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Staunton VA
Posts: 1,589
No money in it here. Even at $200 a cord are you really making much? I don't think so. Will it keep you busy during the winter and a little extra money? Yes but not worth it unless you get the logs super cheap and you have some type of a automatic cutting and splitting machine.
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 12-11-2014, 12:20 PM
AI Inc's Avatar
AI Inc AI Inc is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Southern NH
Posts: 22,031
Quote:
Originally Posted by caseysmowing View Post
No money in it here. Even at $200 a cord are you really making much? I don't think so. Will it keep you busy during the winter and a little extra money? Yes but not worth it unless you get the logs super cheap and you have some type of a automatic cutting and splitting machine.
Posted via Mobile Device
No , it is tough to make money without getting paid to drop the tree first. Was selling here for about $290 a cord this fall. I have about 8 cord cut and split and wouldn't even consider selling it for that price. Wondering if prices will drop now that heating oil is dropping.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 12-11-2014, 07:05 PM
gcbailey's Avatar
gcbailey gcbailey is offline
LawnSite Silver Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: southern WV
Posts: 2,104
Quote:
Originally Posted by caseysmowing View Post
No money in it here. Even at $200 a cord are you really making much? I don't think so. Will it keep you busy during the winter and a little extra money? Yes but not worth it unless you get the logs super cheap and you have some type of a automatic cutting and splitting machine.
Posted via Mobile Device
My family has 480 acres, mostly timber. I've also got access to a processor. Trees are cut year round due to the fact there's a couple of outdoor wood burning stoves in the family too. I think last year all that we sold was about $2k. We don't have as much overhead as most when it comes to firewood.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 12-11-2014, 07:25 PM
jrs.landscaping's Avatar
jrs.landscaping jrs.landscaping is offline
LawnSite Silver Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Maine
Posts: 2,426
Quote:
Originally Posted by AI Inc View Post
No , it is tough to make money without getting paid to drop the tree first. Was selling here for about $290 a cord this fall. I have about 8 cord cut and split and wouldn't even consider selling it for that price. Wondering if prices will drop now that heating oil is dropping.
Not even worth it if you're doing the harvesting. I know of two logging outfits who've completely phased out processing firewood. I've run a few numbers and I figure you have to do in excess of 3k cord to make it worth setting up with a possessor......... that's a lot of wood to sell to turn a profit
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 12-11-2014, 10:17 PM
caseysmowing caseysmowing is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Staunton VA
Posts: 1,589
Quote:
Originally Posted by gcbailey View Post
My family has 480 acres, mostly timber. I've also got access to a processor. Trees are cut year round due to the fact there's a couple of outdoor wood burning stoves in the family too. I think last year all that we sold was about $2k. We don't have as much overhead as most when it comes to firewood.
You are very lucky to be able to get your hands on a processor.
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 12-12-2014, 09:23 AM
gcbailey's Avatar
gcbailey gcbailey is offline
LawnSite Silver Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: southern WV
Posts: 2,104
Quote:
Originally Posted by caseysmowing View Post
You are very lucky to be able to get your hands on a processor.
Posted via Mobile Device
My cousin has a saw mill and kiln in a neighboring county. My grandparents have always let him get selective timber when he needs it in exchange for firewood or lumber.

Don't get in mind it's some kind of huge operation.... They've got an old bult-rite, I'm thinking like 16 or 18 hp... They do specialty lumber and have done logging on the side for 3 generations.

Last edited by gcbailey; 12-12-2014 at 09:29 AM.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2012, LawnSite.comô - Moose River Media
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:44 AM.

Page generated in 0.07146 seconds with 9 queries